Deflection - difference between pin and fixed joints

In summary, a pinned joint is a joint where the members that frame into the joint do not rotate relative to each other at that joint. A rigid joint is one where the members that frame into the joint do not rotate relative to each other under loading or rotation or translation of that joint.
Sadeq
Deflection -- difference between pin and fixed joints

Hello all

I have a question regarding deflection. What is the difference between pin and fixed joint in frame l(first picture fixed the second pin),
I can summarize my question in points:
1.fixed connection introduces equal theta as picture indicates, because structure rotate in the same amount and the angle between to members will still 90,while pin joint, theta will differ , does this implies the 90 degree doesn’t satisfy??

2. Does pin joint means hinge or

3. Please give me example in reality illustrate both joints
4. Any additional information that could help is appreciable.

Many Thanks

Attachments

• dd.PNG
    dd.PNG
    4.3 KB · Views: 2,868
Physics news on Phys.org

Also another question regarding the same problem ,assume i have a beam and the internal support is pin, if we draw the deflected shape it will deflect and gives theta, right….., but imagine you have steel column connected to left beam and right beam by connection at web of beams (which means pin connection), here the right column will deflect and gives theta different than the left, while as i said previously in analysis, it deflect as one unit with one theta, so please explain this in details
Hope my question is clear

If my question is not clear i can explain it more!

Sadeq said:
Hello all

I have a question regarding deflection. What is the difference between pin and fixed joint in frame l(first picture fixed the second pin),
I can summarize my question in points:
1.fixed connection introduces equal theta as picture indicates, because structure rotate in the same amount and the angle between to members will still 90,while pin joint, theta will differ , does this implies the 90 degree doesn’t satisfy??
That's right, the members at the joint are no longer pependicular in the deflected shape.
2. Does pin joint means hinge or
ideally, yes, with a single bolt or pin connection. In actuality many multiple bolt connections are consisdered pinned, although they are semi rigid.
3. Please give me example in reality illustrate both joints

If you anchor 2 columns at the base a distance L apart, and attach a beam to the column tops using a single bolt at each end, that's a pinned joint; if you instead weld that beam to the columns with a full penetration weld, that's a fixed joint.

Sadeq said:
Also another question regarding the same problem ,assume i have a beam and the internal support is pin, if we draw the deflected shape it will deflect and gives theta, right….., but imagine you have steel column connected to left beam and right beam by connection at web of beams (which means pin connection), here the right column will deflect and gives theta different than the left, while as i said previously in analysis, it deflect as one unit with one theta, so please explain this in details
Hope my question is clear
I'm not sure what you mean, but your pictures tell the story.

Likes sanjeev kumar

Thank you very much.
So when we sau rigid joint ,that implies fixed one, which always considerd in structural engineering book...Right

Sadeq said:
Thank you very much.
So when we sau rigid joint ,that implies fixed one, which always considerd in structural engineering book...Right
A rigid joint is one where the members that frame into the joint do not rotate relative to each other at that joint. If a member frames into another member say at a 60 degreee angle, they remain at 60 degreees to each other at that joint under loading or rotation or translation of that joint. I'm not sure about the handbook question...not all joints are rigid, like when a beam frames into a column and is attched to the web of the column with clip angles, it is assumed pinned, in which case if the angle between them was 90 degrees before loading, it is no longer 90 degrees when the beam is loaded, it would be slightly less.

I don't know if this helps but I have attached a hand sketch of the exaggerated deflection of a 3-hinged arch in which the left hand knee is rigid and the right hand knee is pinned. The exaggerated nature of the sketch shows the beam bending, but also a small sway to the right to accommodate the difference in behaviour between right and left sides. In interpreting this figure it is important to distinguish between first order displacements (central deflection of beam bending, and beam end rotations) from second order displacements (lateral sway, column bending). Practically the columns remain straight.

Attachments

• three hinged arch.jpg
    three hinged arch.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,435

thank you brother

1. What is the difference between pin and fixed joints?

Pin joints allow for rotation and movement of the connected members, while fixed joints restrict any movement or rotation.

2. How does the type of joint affect deflection?

The type of joint can greatly affect the amount of deflection in a structure. Pin joints allow for movement, which can result in higher deflection, while fixed joints restrict movement and can result in lower deflection.

3. Are there any advantages to using pin joints over fixed joints?

Yes, pin joints can allow for flexibility and movement in a structure, which can be advantageous in certain situations. For example, in bridges or buildings that experience thermal expansion, pin joints can help to prevent damage by allowing for movement without causing excessive stress on the structure.

4. How is the deflection calculated for pin and fixed joints?

The deflection for pin joints is calculated using the rotation of the joint, while fixed joint deflection is calculated using the stiffness and load applied to the joint. Both types of deflection can be calculated using mathematical equations and taking into account the properties of the materials used.

5. Can a joint be both pin and fixed?

No, a joint is either one or the other. However, a combination of different types of joints can be used in a structure, depending on the desired flexibility and strength in different areas.