Still confused about the dx notation

In summary, the slope is written as dy/dx because it represents the change in the value of the function divided by the change in x, which is represented by dx in differential notation. This is similar to taking the integral, where you are adding up the area of strips that are f(x) tall by dx wide. The concept of the derivative and the integral should not be confused, and dx is not an "infinitesimal" in real analysis/calculus. There are two rigorous notions of the differential, the first being as an infinitesimal and the second being more complicated but more intuitive.
jaydnul
So dx means an infinitesimally small change in x. Why is the slope written [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] instead of [itex]\frac{f(x)}{dx}[/itex] since you are only making the x component infinitely small?

When you take the integral you do [itex]∫f(x)dx[/itex] not [itex]∫dy*dx[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
f(x) is the value of function f at a particular value x. The slope of a line is defined as the rise, which is the change in f, divided by the run, which is the change in x, or dx in the limit.

Remember, teh derivative is defined as limit as h --> 0 of [f(x+h) - f(x)]/h. As h approaches 0 it becomes dxin differential notation, while [f(x+h)-f(x)] becomes dy, the change in the value of the function.

Conversely, when you integrate a function f, you are adding up the area of a series of strips which are f(x) tall by dx wide. The integral of dy*dx makes no sense and it appears you are confusing the concept of the derivative with the concept of the integral, and vice versa.

In real analysis (calculus) there is no such thing as an infinitesimal, period. dx is NOT an "infinitesimal", as a matter of fact dx by itself doesn't make sense. Anything you see in calculus where you treat dx as something to be moved around, you are seeing an abuse of notation.

johnqwertyful said:
In real analysis (calculus) there is no such thing as an infinitesimal, period. dx is NOT an "infinitesimal", as a matter of fact dx by itself doesn't make sense. Anything you see in calculus where you treat dx as something to be moved around, you are seeing an abuse of notation.
OP, please disregard this post.

There are two arguably "best" rigorous notions of the differential. The first, as an infinitesimal, is more intuitive (to some), but less useful. The second is, in my personal opinion, far superior and intuitive, but much more mathematically complicated.

Additionally, I find the infinitesimal approach to be less motivated than worth using. It's really a matter of preference for you at this point.

WannabeNewton said:

That's why I said in real analysis/calculus. This is not true always, but within a standard analysis, what he is doing now, there are no infinitesimals.

Edit, "abuse of notation" is not necessarily a bad thing. In my physics classes, I'm not going to try to do things 100% rigorously and I abuse notation all the time.

Last edited:
Mandelbroth said:
OP, please disregard this post.

There are two arguably "best" rigorous notions of the differential. The first, as an infinitesimal, is more intuitive (to some), but less useful. The second is, in my personal opinion, far superior and intuitive, but much more mathematically complicated.

Additionally, I find the infinitesimal approach to be less motivated than worth using. It's really a matter of preference for you at this point.

Well don't keep me in suspense! :)

What's the second notion that is far superior and intuitive?

Jd0g33 said:
Well don't keep me in suspense! :)

What's the second notion that is far superior and intuitive?
...is too complicated for us to really go into too much depth with you now.

For differentiable manifolds ##M## and ##N## and a differentiable map ##f:M\to N##, the differential ##df## defines at each point ##p\in M## a linear mapping ##df_p:T_pM\to T_{f(p)}N##.

Differential forms generalize the concept of a differential of a scalar function.

It only gets more complicated from there. One of the best motivations for it is that we can put most integration theorems from analysis into the form $$\int\limits_{\Omega}d\alpha=\int\limits_{\partial\Omega}\alpha.$$

To really understand these things, it's best to leave them alone until college. If you want an example, suppose we have ##f:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}##. Then, we have, for ##x,v\in\mathbb{R}##, ##df_x(v)=f'(x)v##.

1. What does the "dx" notation mean in math?

The "dx" notation is used to represent an infinitesimal change in the independent variable in a mathematical function. It is commonly used in calculus to denote the derivative of a function with respect to the independent variable.

2. Why is "dx" used in mathematical notation?

"dx" is used in mathematical notation to represent a small change in the independent variable of a function. It allows for precise calculations and is essential in many mathematical concepts, such as derivatives and integrals.

3. Is "dx" the only notation used to represent a change in the independent variable?

No, there are other notations used to represent a change in the independent variable, such as "dt" for time and "dy" for a change in the dependent variable. The notation used depends on the context and the specific mathematical concept being discussed.

4. Can "dx" be used in all types of mathematical functions?

Yes, "dx" can be used in a variety of mathematical functions, including polynomial, exponential, and trigonometric functions. It is most commonly used in calculus, but it can also be used in other branches of mathematics.

5. How does "dx" relate to the concept of limits in calculus?

In calculus, "dx" is used to represent an infinitesimal change in the independent variable, which is essential in the concept of limits. It allows for precise calculations of the slope of a curve at a specific point, which is the basis of many calculus concepts.