What causes stimulated emission to occur in quantum mechanics?

In summary, stimulated emission is the process in which an emitted photon is in phase with the incident electromagnetic wave and travels in the same direction. This occurs when an electron in a higher energy state is stimulated by the incident wave, causing it to decay back to the lower energy state. This is in contrast to spontaneous emission, where the electron interacts with vacuum fluctuations to cause the transition.
Yosty22
I have been learning some introductory quantum mechanics and stimulated Emission is giving me some problems conceptually.

I understand that photons can be absorbed to bump electrons up to higher energy levels and that electrons in the higher energy state spontaneously decay back to the lower energy state because they "want" to be in the lowest available energy state. In the texts I have used and some various wiki articles I have read, stimulated Emission is when the emitted photon is in phase with the incident EM wave and going in the same direction.

However, I am confused as to what exactly what causes this to happen. That is, what is doing the Stimulating that causes the electron to decay?

Physics news on Phys.org
The incident wave.

According to quantum mechanics, an electron in an energy eigenstate should remain in that state indefinitely, and an electronic transition occurs only because the electron interacts with an external field. In the case of stimulated emission, it's the field of the incident wave; in the case of spontaneous emission, it's the field due to vacuum fluctuations.

1. What is stimulated emission?

Stimulated emission is a process in which an excited atom or molecule releases a photon of light when it is hit by another photon with the same energy. This results in the amplification of light and is the basis for lasers.

2. How does stimulated emission differ from spontaneous emission?

Spontaneous emission occurs randomly and without an external stimulus, while stimulated emission requires an external photon to trigger the release of a photon with the same energy. This results in a more controlled and directed emission of light.

3. What is the significance of stimulated emission in laser technology?

Stimulated emission is the fundamental principle behind laser technology. It allows for the amplification of light in a controlled and coherent manner, resulting in a powerful and concentrated beam of light that has a wide range of applications in science, medicine, and industry.

4. Can stimulated emission occur in any type of material?

No, stimulated emission can only occur in materials that have the necessary energy levels and properties to support this process. This includes a wide range of materials, such as gases, semiconductors, and crystals, which are used in different types of lasers.

5. How is stimulated emission related to the concept of population inversion?

Population inversion is a state in which more atoms or molecules are in an excited state than in the ground state. This is necessary for stimulated emission to occur, as the excited atoms or molecules must outnumber the ground state ones in order to release photons in a coordinated manner. Laser technology relies on achieving and maintaining population inversion in order to produce a strong and coherent beam of light.