Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

STL, in large systems sims/high computing performance

1. Dec 18, 2005 #1
    (hehe here's another one for you dduardo :biggrin: )
    Does anyone know if STL is used or is capable of being used in large system simulations? Or is it best to write your own datastructtures?
    Looking to do some computational astrophysics or large neural nets and am not sure whether to use STL or not... I want to if it can be used for the large scale that i'm envisioning, but i don't now if there would be overhead that i wouldn't now about.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

You have to remember that STL is generalized. Depending on what you are doing you may be able to optimize the structures and performance of certain operations.

What type of structures do you plan on using?

4. Dec 18, 2005 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would probably be best to use the STL data structures where convenient, to more quickly produce working code, and then figure out what and how to optimize.

(reference: Wikipedia)

5. Dec 18, 2005 #4

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

If you can reinvent the wheel, do it!

(reference: wikipedia)

j/k :tongue2:

6. Dec 18, 2005 #5
    vector stack, PQueue and list. are the ones i'm looking at. I'm just running a simple particle collision(n=1000) looking to go to n=10000 if i can find a system better than mind. Trying to land a research job. =]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?