1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stokes theorem and line integral

1. Dec 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that [tex]2A=\oint \vec{r}\times d\vec{r}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

From stokes theorem we have [tex]\oint d\vec{r}\times \vec{r}=\int _{s}(d\vec{s}\times \nabla)\times \vec{r}= \int _{s}(2ds\frac{\partial f}{\partial x},-ds+ds\frac{\partial f}{\partial y},-2ds)[/tex]. I'm stuck here and I don't know how to continue. Please help me.

Another method is [tex]\oint \vec{r}\times d\vec{r}=\oint (ydz-zdy,zdx-xdz,xdy-ydx)[/tex]. Please help me solve it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe they didn't state it very clearly, but that formula is only true for a planar surface, say a region in the xy plane. And I'm not sure what formulation you are using of Stokes theorem. If you are using the vector form, that means a unit normal points in the z direction, say k. To get the area you want to integrate 1*dx*dy. Now if you define the vector field F=(-y/2,x/2,0) what is curl(F)?

4. Dec 12, 2009 #3
    So in this case z=0 and then we have: [tex]\oint \vec{r}\times d\vec{r}=\oint (ydz-zdy,zdx-xdz,xdy-ydx)=\oint (0,0,-ydx+xdy) [/tex] so [tex]\vec{F}=(-y,x,0) and \vec{n}=(0,0,1) and \nabla \times \vec{F}=(0,0,2) and so (\nabla \times \vec{F}).\vec{n}=(0,0,2)[/tex] so we have [tex]\oint \vec{F}.d\vec{r}=\int_{s}(\nabla\times \vec{F}).\vec{n}ds=\int\int_{D}2dxdy=2A[/tex]
    I think my method is now correct. Thank you very much for your kind help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook