Stoke's Theorem - Curl of a Magnetic Field

In summary: The text does a better job of explaining Stoke's Theorem, but I think it would be helpful to see it in action, like in a textbook or video.
Astrum
Griffiths's proof of Ampère's Law was probably one of the ugliest things I've seen. All that product rule, integration by parts and what not, really could have brought tears to the eyes of ANY man.

I mean, have you LOOKED at this? GAAAAH it's terrible, really, terrible.

The simple statement that he presents on pg. 221 - 222 is much more elegant. But one thing confuses me.

How is $$\int \vec{J} \cdot d \vec{a} = \int (\nabla \times \vec{B}) \cdot d \vec{a}$$

I see that this is an application of Stoke's Theorem, so I guess I'm asking for a clarification of what Stoke'es Theorem actually SAYS, and why it makes sense.

I'm not sure if this belongs in the classical physics section, or the math section.

Physics news on Phys.org
WannabeNewton said:
Take a look at references online or a textbook because Stokes' theorem can be explained in a more coherent manner through such mediums. For example: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathemat...007/video-lectures/lecture-31-stokes-theorem/ or p.92 of Purcell's electromagnetism text (3rd ed.)

I'll take a look. And perhaps I'll get my hands on Purcell's, since you keep telling us how awesome of a text it is, I'll have to check it out for myself :tongue:

Astrum said:
I see that this is an application of Stoke's Theorem, so I guess I'm asking for a clarification of what Stoke'es Theorem actually SAYS, and why it makes sense.

See section 1.3.5 of Griffiths, pages 34-36:

The fundamental theorem for curls, which goes by the special name of Stokes' Theorem, states that

$$\int{(\vec \nabla \times \vec v) \cdot d \vec a} = \oint {\vec v \cdot d \vec l}$$
##\vec v## is any vector field. In this particular application, ##\vec v = \vec B##. The integral on the left is a surface integral, taken over some surface. The integral on the right is a line integral around the boundary of that surface.

It's useful, although somewhat tedious, to verify Stoke's Theorem by calculating the integrals explicitly for a few simple cases, as in Example 1.11 and Problem 1.33.

The equation in the OP is not an application of Stokes's theorem. In Stokes's theorem a quantity integrated over the boundary is related to a quantity integrated over the space enclosed by the boundary.

In the OP, one takes the differential form of Ampere's law in the absence of a changing electric field ∇ X B =J and integrates it.

The differential form of Ampere's law is given in the right column of the Wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_equations. It is in getting from the equations in the right column to the equations in the left column that one uses Stokes's theorem - in the equation in the left column you see the integral on the left and right hand side of the equations are integrated over different things - one being the boundary denoted ∂Ʃ and the other being the area enclosed by the boundary Ʃ.

Last edited:
atyy said:
The equation in the OP is not an application of Stokes's theorem.

No; however, the right-hand side is the result of an application of Stokes' Theorem.

Griffiths starts with Ampere's Law in the form

$$\oint {\vec B \cdot d \vec l} = \mu_0 I_{enc}$$

On the left side, he applies Stokes' Theorem. On the right side, he applies the relationship between current and current density

$$I_{enc} = \int {\vec J \cdot d \vec a}$$

The result is the equation in the OP, with left and right sides switched.

@jtbell, yes, I agree.

1. What is Stoke's Theorem?

Stoke's Theorem is a fundamental theorem in mathematics that relates the integral of a vector field over a surface to the line integral of the field around the boundary of the surface.

2. How is Stoke's Theorem used in physics?

In physics, Stoke's Theorem is used to calculate the circulation of a vector field, such as the curl of a magnetic field, around a closed path.

3. What is the curl of a magnetic field?

The curl of a magnetic field is a measure of how much the magnetic field is rotating or swirling at a given point. It is represented by the mathematical vector operator ∇ × B, where B is the magnetic field.

4. How is the curl of a magnetic field related to electromagnetism?

The curl of a magnetic field is one of the fundamental equations in electromagnetism, known as Maxwell's equations. It describes how changing electric fields create magnetic fields, and vice versa.

5. Can Stoke's Theorem be used to calculate the magnetic field at any point?

No, Stoke's Theorem can only be used to calculate the circulation of a vector field around a closed path. In order to determine the magnetic field at a specific point, other equations and techniques, such as the Biot-Savart law, must be used.