Stokes's theorem in spherical coordinates

In summary: I think I got it. That gives me -##R \pi##.In summary, we have a vector function ##\vec{F} (\vec{r})=\hat{\phi}## and we are calculating line and surface integrals using Stokes's theorem. For the line integral, we use the circle of radius R in the xy plane centered at the origin. For the surface integral, we use the hemisphere above the xy plane with boundary curve C. We find that the line integral is equal to the surface integral, confirming Stokes's theorem. The normal to the surface is given by ##d\vec{a}=R^2sin \ \theta \ d\theta \ d\phi \ \hat{r}
wifi
Problem:

Say we have a vector function ##\vec{F} (\vec{r})=\hat{\phi}##.

a. Calculate ##\oint_C \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{\ell}##, where C is the circle of radius R in the xy plane centered at the origin

b. Calculate ##\int_H \nabla \times \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{a}##, where H is the hemisphere above the xy plane with boundary curve C.

c. Calculate ##\int_D \nabla \times \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{a}##, where D is the disk in the xy plane bounded by C.

(Verify Stokes's theorem in both cases.)

Solution:

First off, isn't it unnecessary to say verify Stokes's theorem in both cases? If we calculate a line integral, and then a surface integral bounded by the same curve, Stokes's theorem states that they're the same, yes?

Moving on...

a. We have [tex]\vec{F} \cdot d\vec{\ell}=(0,0,1)(dr, d\theta, rsin\theta \ d\phi)=rsin\theta \ d\phi[/tex]

So [tex]\oint_C \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{\ell} = Rsin\theta \int_0^{2 \pi} d\phi= 2 \pi R sin \theta [/tex]

Is this correct?

b. We have ##F_r=F_{\theta}=0## and ##F_{\phi}=1##, so for the curl I find [tex]\nabla \times \vec{F}=(\frac{1}{r}tan\theta, 0, -\frac{1}{r})[/tex]

I think this is right so far. But in calculating ##\int_H \nabla \times \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{a}##, I'm not sure what to use as ##d\vec{a}##. Any help? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
wifi said:
Problem:

Say we have a vector function ##\vec{F} (\vec{r})=\hat{\phi}##.

a. Calculate ##\oint_C \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{\ell}##, where C is the circle of radius R in the xy plane centered at the origin

b. Calculate ##\int_H \nabla \times \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{a}##, where H is the hemisphere above the xy plane with boundary curve C.

c. Calculate ##\int_D \nabla \times \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{a}##, where D is the disk in the xy plane bounded by C.

(Verify Stokes's theorem in both cases.)

First off, isn't it unnecessary to say verify Stokes's theorem in both cases? If we calculate a line integral, and then a surface integral bounded by the same curve, Stokes's theorem states that they're the same, yes?

"Verify Stoke's theorem" means "observe that the line integral is indeed equal to the surface integrals"

Moving on...

a. We have [tex]\vec{F} \cdot d\vec{\ell}=(0,0,1)(dr, d\theta, rsin\theta \ d\phi)=rsin\theta \ d\phi[/tex]

So [tex]\oint_C \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{\ell} = Rsin\theta \int_0^{2 \pi} d\phi= 2 \pi R sin \theta [/tex]

Is this correct?

No. The circle in question is [itex]r = R[/itex], [itex]\theta = \pi/2[/itex] and [itex]\phi \in [0, 2\pi)[/itex]. Thus the element of line length is [itex]\mathrm{d}\vec{l} = R\hat\phi \mathrm{d}\phi[/itex], and the integral is
[tex]
\oint_C \vec F \cdot \mathrm{d}\vec{l} = \int_0^{2\pi} R\mathrm{d}\phi
[/tex]

b. We have ##F_r=F_{\theta}=0## and ##F_{\phi}=1##, so for the curl I find [tex]\nabla \times \vec{F}=(\frac{1}{r}tan\theta, 0, -\frac{1}{r})[/tex]

I get [itex]\nabla \times \vec F = r^{-1}\tan\theta \hat r - r^{-1}\hat\theta[/itex].

I think this is right so far. But in calculating ##\int_H \nabla \times \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{a}##, I'm not sure what to use as ##d\vec{a}##. Any help? Thanks in advance.

[itex]d\vec a[/itex] is the normal to the surface in question times the element of area. Given the choice of parametrization of the line integral, it's the normal with the non-negative [itex]\hat z[/itex] component.

pasmith said:
No. The circle in question is [itex]r = R[/itex], [itex]\theta = \pi/2[/itex] and [itex]\phi \in [0, 2\pi)[/itex]. Thus the element of line length is [itex]\mathrm{d}\vec{l} = R\hat\phi \mathrm{d}\phi[/itex], and the integral is
[tex]
\oint_C \vec F \cdot \mathrm{d}\vec{l} = \int_0^{2\pi} R\mathrm{d}\phi
[/tex]

Ah, I see. So it's simply the perimeter of a circle. Makes sense. [tex]\int_0^{2\pi} R\mathrm{d}\phi = 2\pi R[/tex]

pasmith said:
I get [itex]\nabla \times \vec F = r^{-1}\tan\theta \hat r - r^{-1}\hat\theta[/itex].

Whoops, yeah that's what I meant.

pasmith said:
[itex]d\vec a[/itex] is the normal to the surface in question times the element of area. Given the choice of parametrization of the line integral, it's the normal with the non-negative [itex]\hat z[/itex] component.

Well in class my prof used ##r^2sin \theta d\theta d \hat{\phi}##. Is that correct? If so, I would like to understand why that's the case.

Thanks, pasmith.

Last edited:
wifi said:
Well in class my prof used ##r^2sin \theta d\theta d \hat{\phi}##. Is that correct? If so, I would like to understand why that's the case.
No, that's not correct. ##d\vec{a}## points in the direction normal to the surface. For the hemisphere, this would be radially outward, so ##d\vec{a}## points in the ##\hat{r}## direction. The magnitude of the area element is ##R^2\sin\theta\,d\theta\,d\phi##.

vela said:
No, that's not correct. ##d\vec{a}## points in the direction normal to the surface. For the hemisphere, this would be radially outward, so ##d\vec{a}## points in the ##\hat{r}## direction. The magnitude of the area element is ##R^2\sin\theta\,d\theta\,d\phi##.

That makes perfect sense. So it's ##d\vec{a}=R^2sin \ \theta \ d\theta \ d\phi \ \hat{r}##, right?

Yup.

So when I calculate ## \int_H \nabla \times \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{a} ## does ##r \rightarrow R## in ##\nabla \times \vec{F}=(\frac{1}{r}tan \ \theta, -\frac{1}{r}, 0)##? (ie. is it ##\nabla \times \vec{F}=(\frac{1}{R}tan \ \theta, -\frac{1}{R}, 0)##?)

Yes. You're evaluating the curl of ##\vec{F}## on the surface of the sphere, so you can set r=R.

Okay. I have to integrate ##sin \ \theta \ tan \ \theta##. This is going to be a mess...

Uh oh, on wolfram alpha it's saying this integral does not converge. Something has to be wrong.

## \int_H \nabla \times \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{a} = \int (\frac{1}{R}tan \ \theta, -\frac{1}{R},0) \cdot (R^2 sin \ \theta \ d\theta \ d\phi, 0, 0) = \int_0^{2 \pi} \int_0^{\pi} R sin \ \theta \ tan \theta \ d\theta \ d\phi ##. Yes?

Mathematica gives
$$\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{F} = \frac{\cot \theta}{r}\,\hat{r} - \frac{1}{r}\,\hat{\theta}.$$ That should fix things for you.

Yeah I get ##\int_0^{2 \pi} \int_0^{\pi} R cos \ \theta \ d\theta \ d\phi = 2 \pi R##.

Hopefully I can get part c. with no difficulty. I'll keep you posted.

So, for the disk we have ## d\vec{A}= - R^2 sin \ \theta \ d\theta \ d \phi \ \hat{\theta}##?

wifi said:
Yeah I get ##\int_0^{2 \pi} \int_0^{\pi} R cos \ \theta \ d\theta \ d\phi = 2 \pi R##.
That integral as written should evaluate to ##4\pi R.##

wifi said:
So, for the disk we have ## d\vec{A}= - R^2 sin \ \theta \ d\theta \ d \phi \ \hat{\theta}##?
Nope. For one thing, r isn't constant over the disk. What should the magnitude of the area element be? Which way should it point?

vela said:
That integral as written should evaluate to ##4\pi R.##

Ah, ##\theta## should range from 0 to pi/2. Then the integral is correct.

vela said:
Nope. For one thing, r isn't constant over the disk. What should the magnitude of the area element be? Which way should it point?

I'm not sure about the magnitude, but it should point in the +z direction.

##d\vec{A}=-rdrd\phi \hat{\theta}##. Using this in the integral (with r:0 to R and Φ:0 to 2π), I get ##2 \pi R##, as expected. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Yup.

What is Stokes's theorem in spherical coordinates?

Stokes's theorem in spherical coordinates is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the line integral of the same vector field around the boundary of that surface.

What are the advantages of using spherical coordinates in Stokes's theorem?

Using spherical coordinates in Stokes's theorem allows for easier calculation and visualization of the integrals, as the spherical coordinates naturally align with the spherical symmetry of many physical systems.

How is Stokes's theorem derived in spherical coordinates?

The derivation of Stokes's theorem in spherical coordinates involves using the divergence theorem to convert the surface integral to a volume integral, and then applying the spherical coordinate transformation to simplify the resulting integrand.

What are some real-world applications of Stokes's theorem in spherical coordinates?

Stokes's theorem in spherical coordinates is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving fluid flow, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. It is also used in geophysics to study the Earth's magnetic and gravitational fields.

Are there any limitations to using Stokes's theorem in spherical coordinates?

Stokes's theorem in spherical coordinates is only applicable to problems with spherical symmetry and may not be suitable for more complex systems. Additionally, the coordinate transformation can introduce errors in the calculations if not done carefully.