1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stokes's theorem in spherical coordinates

1. Sep 12, 2013 #1
    Problem:

Say we have a vector function ##\vec{F} (\vec{r})=\hat{\phi}##.

a. Calculate ##\oint_C \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{\ell}##, where C is the circle of radius R in the xy plane centered at the origin

b. Calculate ##\int_H \nabla \times \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{a}##, where H is the hemisphere above the xy plane with boundary curve C.

c. Calculate ##\int_D \nabla \times \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{a}##, where D is the disk in the xy plane bounded by C.

(Verify Stokes's theorem in both cases.)

Solution:

First off, isn't it unnecessary to say verify Stokes's theorem in both cases? If we calculate a line integral, and then a surface integral bounded by the same curve, Stokes's theorem states that they're the same, yes?

Moving on...

a. We have [tex]\vec{F} \cdot d\vec{\ell}=(0,0,1)(dr, d\theta, rsin\theta \ d\phi)=rsin\theta \ d\phi[/tex]

So [tex]\oint_C \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{\ell} = Rsin\theta \int_0^{2 \pi} d\phi= 2 \pi R sin \theta [/tex]

Is this correct?

b. We have ##F_r=F_{\theta}=0## and ##F_{\phi}=1##, so for the curl I find [tex]\nabla \times \vec{F}=(\frac{1}{r}tan\theta, 0, -\frac{1}{r})[/tex]

I think this is right so far. But in calculating ##\int_H \nabla \times \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{a}##, I'm not sure what to use as ##d\vec{a}##. Any help? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

"Verify Stoke's theorem" means "observe that the line integral is indeed equal to the surface integrals"

No. The circle in question is [itex]r = R[/itex], [itex]\theta = \pi/2[/itex] and [itex]\phi \in [0, 2\pi)[/itex]. Thus the element of line length is [itex]\mathrm{d}\vec{l} = R\hat\phi \mathrm{d}\phi[/itex], and the integral is
    [tex]
    \oint_C \vec F \cdot \mathrm{d}\vec{l} = \int_0^{2\pi} R\mathrm{d}\phi
    [/tex]

I get [itex]\nabla \times \vec F = r^{-1}\tan\theta \hat r - r^{-1}\hat\theta[/itex].

[itex]d\vec a[/itex] is the normal to the surface in question times the element of area. Given the choice of parametrization of the line integral, it's the normal with the non-negative [itex]\hat z[/itex] component.

4. Sep 12, 2013 #3
    Ah, I see. So it's simply the perimeter of a circle. Makes sense. [tex]\int_0^{2\pi} R\mathrm{d}\phi = 2\pi R[/tex]

Whoops, yeah that's what I meant.

Well in class my prof used ##r^2sin \theta d\theta d \hat{\phi}##. Is that correct? If so, I would like to understand why that's the case.

Thanks, pasmith.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  5. Sep 12, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, that's not correct. ##d\vec{a}## points in the direction normal to the surface. For the hemisphere, this would be radially outward, so ##d\vec{a}## points in the ##\hat{r}## direction. The magnitude of the area element is ##R^2\sin\theta\,d\theta\,d\phi##.

6. Sep 12, 2013 #5
    That makes perfect sense. So it's ##d\vec{a}=R^2sin \ \theta \ d\theta \ d\phi \ \hat{r}##, right?

7. Sep 12, 2013 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup.

8. Sep 12, 2013 #7
    So when I calculate ## \int_H \nabla \times \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{a} ## does ##r \rightarrow R## in ##\nabla \times \vec{F}=(\frac{1}{r}tan \ \theta, -\frac{1}{r}, 0)##? (ie. is it ##\nabla \times \vec{F}=(\frac{1}{R}tan \ \theta, -\frac{1}{R}, 0)##?)

9. Sep 12, 2013 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes. You're evaluating the curl of ##\vec{F}## on the surface of the sphere, so you can set r=R.

10. Sep 12, 2013 #9
    Okay. I have to integrate ##sin \ \theta \ tan \ \theta##. This is going to be a mess...

11. Sep 12, 2013 #10
    Uh oh, on wolfram alpha it's saying this integral does not converge. Something has to be wrong.

12. Sep 12, 2013 #11
    ## \int_H \nabla \times \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{a} = \int (\frac{1}{R}tan \ \theta, -\frac{1}{R},0) \cdot (R^2 sin \ \theta \ d\theta \ d\phi, 0, 0) = \int_0^{2 \pi} \int_0^{\pi} R sin \ \theta \ tan \theta \ d\theta \ d\phi ##. Yes?

13. Sep 12, 2013 #12

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Mathematica gives
    $$\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{F} = \frac{\cot \theta}{r}\,\hat{r} - \frac{1}{r}\,\hat{\theta}.$$ That should fix things for you.

14. Sep 12, 2013 #13
    Yeah I get ##\int_0^{2 \pi} \int_0^{\pi} R cos \ \theta \ d\theta \ d\phi = 2 \pi R##.

Hopefully I can get part c. with no difficulty. I'll keep you posted.

15. Sep 12, 2013 #14
    So, for the disk we have ## d\vec{A}= - R^2 sin \ \theta \ d\theta \ d \phi \ \hat{\theta}##?

16. Sep 12, 2013 #15

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That integral as written should evaluate to ##4\pi R.##

Nope. For one thing, r isn't constant over the disk. What should the magnitude of the area element be? Which way should it point?

17. Sep 12, 2013 #16
    Ah, ##\theta## should range from 0 to pi/2. Then the integral is correct.

I'm not sure about the magnitude, but it should point in the +z direction.

18. Sep 13, 2013 #17
    ##d\vec{A}=-rdrd\phi \hat{\theta}##. Using this in the integral (with r:0 to R and Φ:0 to 2π), I get ##2 \pi R##, as expected. Is this correct?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  19. Sep 13, 2013 #18

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted