1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Story problems for Algebra II/Trig review test

1. Aug 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    at noon a train leaves B heading East at 90 mi/h to C which is 450 miles away
    at 12:15 pm a train leaves C heading West to B at 100 mi/h. When will they pass each other?

2. Relevant equations t=0 when train leaves B and train leaving C is ) at t=15min

3. The attempt at a solution Graph hours on the x axis and miles on the y axis, but how do you graph the train leaving C? I don't see how the lines intersect. Where do I go to get basic information on these types of problems?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2010 #2
    You don't need to graph anything.

Let t be the number of hours since noon that have elapsed.
    Can you write down an expression in terms of t for how far apart the trains are?
    (hint: they start 450 miles apart and one train leaves earlier)

Once you have done that, they will pass each other at a time t that makes your expression equal zero (because then they will be zero miles apart!)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook