Strategies for solving Hamilton's equations

• Thread starter jjustinn
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is that when solving for the system's motion, the unknowns are a function of x, but we need to solve for t.
jjustinn
When solving virtually any non-trivial system via Hamilton's equations, it seems that I'm ending up with equations of the form

## ∂H/∂p = dx/dt = p/m ##
## ∂H/∂x = -dp/dt = -F(x) ##
## p(t) = ∫(dp/dt)dt ##
## d^2x/dt^2 = F(x) ##
E.g., everything is given as a function of x, but we need to solve for t. I can change the variable of integration to x and get e.g. p(x), but that doesn't really help (especially since you can often directly solve for p(x)). One particular problem that's been irking me is where F(x) is either a delta function or a step function.

So...are there any tricks for solving Hamilton's equations (or Euler/Lagrange) for systems that are NOT like the ## d^2x/dt^2 = -Kx ## that invariably show up in textbooks?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, there's really only a very small number of systems that have exact analytical solutions. Most systems have to be integrated numerically. If you post a specific example someone might be able to help you solve it, but I don't think there's really much general advice one can give.

dipole said:
Well, there's really only a very small number of systems that have exact analytical solutions. Most systems have to be integrated numerically. If you post a specific example someone might be able to help you solve it, but I don't think there's really much general advice one can give.

Actually, the system that brought me here is one where the equations of motion are well known: elastic collisions in one dimension -- either between two particles or between a particle and a potential barrier (possibly infinite).

I'm afraid to give too specific / complete a derivation, as it will probably get deleted as "homework-like", but one problem I've been wrestling with has ## H = p^2/2m + Kθ(x) ##, where θ(x) is a step function, and K → ∞...so in the above example, F(x) would be -Kδ(x), and the equations of motion would be the particle moving from -∞ toward zero at constant momentum ##p_0##, then at x = 0, it immediately changes to ##-p_0##, and moves back towards -∞. So, ## dp/dt = -2p(x)δ(x) ##, and ## x(t) = -|p_0t/m| ##. But, for the reasons stated above, I can't get from H to the (known) solution...and I'm having similar problems with "simpler" problems (e.g. a ramp instead of a delta function). If you're really interested, there's another thread on that particular problem here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4568733#post4568733...but I think the root of the problem there is I suck at integrals -- so if I get this figured out, that should follow.

Thanks,
Justin

1. What are Hamilton's equations?

Hamilton's equations are a set of differential equations that describe the motion of a dynamical system in the phase space, which is a mathematical space that represents all possible states of the system. These equations were developed by Sir William Rowan Hamilton in the 19th century and are widely used in physics and engineering to model various physical systems.

2. Why are Hamilton's equations important?

Hamilton's equations are important because they provide a powerful mathematical framework for understanding the dynamics of complex systems. They allow scientists and engineers to predict the future behavior of a system based on its initial conditions, and they also reveal important conservation laws and symmetries that govern the system.

3. What are some common strategies for solving Hamilton's equations?

There are several strategies for solving Hamilton's equations, depending on the specific problem at hand. Some common techniques include using numerical methods, such as the Runge-Kutta method, to approximate the solutions to the equations. Another approach is to use analytical methods, such as separation of variables or perturbation theory, to find exact solutions for simplified systems.

4. How are Hamilton's equations related to classical mechanics?

Hamilton's equations are closely related to classical mechanics, which is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects based on Newton's laws of motion. In fact, Hamilton's equations can be derived from the principle of least action, which is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics that states that a system will follow the path that minimizes the action, a quantity related to the system's energy.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Hamilton's equations?

Yes, Hamilton's equations have a wide range of real-world applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, they are used in celestial mechanics to predict the orbits of planets and other celestial bodies, in control theory to design optimal control systems, and in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale. They are also used in economics, biology, and other social sciences to model complex systems.