Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strategy for minesweeper

1. Apr 11, 2005 #1
    hi everyone, i have a really slow computer for good games, so i try to make excuses for homework by playing MINESWEEPER!

does anyone have a strategy for this game?

i've been playing beginner mode and have my record down to 24 seconds.

let me know if someone can offer me tips!

thanks
    brian

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2005 #2
    My record is 8 seconds. I havn't even been able to come close since that time.

4. Apr 11, 2005 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's a tip: stop playing Minesweeper and go do your homework!

:biggrin:

5. Apr 11, 2005 #4
    8 sec? on beginner i assume. thats really good, but was a lot of that just luck? or do you employ a strategy?

6. Apr 11, 2005 #5
    haha math is hard...believe me, my homework takes less thought than minesweeper. most of my homework isn't even checked by the teacher so i don't bother. minesweeper keeps me going for half-hours on end.

7. Apr 11, 2005 #6
    Minesweeper! Hooray!

I looked up records for Minesweeper a year ago because I was playing it then and there are people who have gotten 1 second for beginner's level. :surprised I was playing the largest mode and when I could see that I was taking 300 seconds on my best time and the record was like one minute, I gave up.

8. Apr 11, 2005 #7
    Pffffff!!!!!! weak! :tongue2:

4, 27, 99. Respectively, beg, int, exp.

Websites:
    It has some world record (insane) scores/videos and some tips: http://metanoodle.com/minesweeper/
    Also this website: http://www.planet-minesweeper.com/conseils.php

Best tip is to learn how to use the middle click button, and also to learn the logic. I am going to make a minesweeper tutorial/logic guide in a few weeks.

I will post more tomorrow, or later, time for fear factor.

9. Apr 11, 2005 #8
    I employ a strategy, but a lot of it was luck too. I've gotten as low as 10 since I got 8, but usually I end up around 12-13.

10. Apr 11, 2005 #9
    Anyone ever play pente?

A friend of mine developed this website. www.pente.net I just checked it and it is down at the moment. Its worth checking out if you are into mentally challenging games. This one can be deceptively complex against an experienced player.

Huck

11. Apr 11, 2005 #10

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, redefine "winning" to "finding a mine" and you can get your time down to about 0.5 sec.

12. Apr 11, 2005 #11
    i'll be interested in your guide mattmns. i was thinking if ppl have ever tried to figure out the logic behind the game, instead of just clicking and using a little brain power like me.

i'm sure someone could come up with a sequence that determines where the mines are just based on some crazy formula.

13. Apr 11, 2005 #12
    boy tom you really earned that super mentor logo didn't you

:)

14. Apr 11, 2005 #13
    Yeah you really do not have to guess at all. Maybe twice per expert board: Usually one of those darn 50/50 guesses at the end too :cry:

Learn the 1-2-1 pattern, and rather than try to better your times, try to better how often you win. Seriously just sit there and think about the logic. Use edges/corners.

15. Apr 11, 2005 #14

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, but I can't take all the credit. My 6 year old niece has found a way to "win" any game. I'm basically stealing her material.

16. Apr 11, 2005 #15
    It probably wouldn't be too hard for someone to write a program to automatically play minesweeper. It would simulate button click actions and read from the screen to determine what state the squares are in and it could probably play the expert level in like 5 seconds.

17. Apr 11, 2005 #16
    ohhh you shouldn't have shown me that website mattmns, now i learned a cheat! oh well, this should help wean me off minesweeper and onto homework. lol

18. Apr 11, 2005 #17
    Yes, of course, you can cheat at any game. Why would that affect you wanting to play it or not?

19. Apr 11, 2005 #18
    well, when i get a cheat for a game, it loses its originality.
    i remember playing "the sims" a few years ago and it was really fun until i learned a code to get a million dollars and then it became boring cause there was no point.

but i'll try not to use this code b/c i want to see if i can actually go sub-10 (legally).

20. Apr 11, 2005 #19
    My strategy for minesweeper is to guess a bunch until i clear most of the board, then the rest is logic, and a little 50/50 guessing at the end. double clicking is definetly the greatest thing ever. i remember when i first discovered it, i was like "holy cow! this is the greatest thing ever!" I used to play minesweeper all the time in computer class. It was one of those games that the school seemed to never be able to get off the computer. My record for beginer is 4 secs, intermediate is in the 40's and i never really try to beat my score on expert, i just try to win, and i'm happy with that. I think i'm probably just under 300.

21. Apr 11, 2005 #20
    Ill have to ask my roomate. He can do expert in 80 s. I watched him do it, simply amazing. Hit left and right mouse buttons at the same time to clear out all the blocks adjacent to a bomb. It saves time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?