Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Stream functions and flow around sphere/cylinder

1. Oct 22, 2016 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Hi PF!

I am wondering why we define velocity for polar coordinates as $$\vec{V} = \nabla \times \frac{\psi(r,z)}{r} \vec{e_\theta}$$ and why we define velocity in spherical coordinates as $$\vec{V} = \nabla \times \frac{\psi(r,\phi)}{r \sin \phi} \vec{e_\theta}$$

The only thing I don't understand is why we divide by ##r## and then ##r \sin \phi## (which are really sort of the same dimension, just the spherical is a projection). Is this simply to make the equations that follow nicer?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, it's because your equations become simpler, although your spherical coordinates are strange. I'd expect (with ##\vartheta## the polar and ##\varphi## the azimuthal angles)
    $$\vec{v}=\vec{\nabla} \times \left (\frac{\psi(r,\vartheta)}{r \sin \vartheta} \vec{e}_{\varphi} \right).$$
    Then you get
    $$\vec{v}=\vec{e}_r \frac{1}{r^2 \sin \vartheta} \partial_{\vartheta} \psi-\vec{e}_{\vartheta} \frac{1}{r \sin \vartheta} \partial_r \psi.$$

4. Oct 22, 2016 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Shoot, we may be using a different symbols for different angles. Awesome, thanks for your response!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted