1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Stream functions and flow around sphere/cylinder

1. Oct 22, 2016 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Hi PF!

I am wondering why we define velocity for polar coordinates as $$\vec{V} = \nabla \times \frac{\psi(r,z)}{r} \vec{e_\theta}$$ and why we define velocity in spherical coordinates as $$\vec{V} = \nabla \times \frac{\psi(r,\phi)}{r \sin \phi} \vec{e_\theta}$$

The only thing I don't understand is why we divide by ##r## and then ##r \sin \phi## (which are really sort of the same dimension, just the spherical is a projection). Is this simply to make the equations that follow nicer?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, it's because your equations become simpler, although your spherical coordinates are strange. I'd expect (with ##\vartheta## the polar and ##\varphi## the azimuthal angles)
    $$\vec{v}=\vec{\nabla} \times \left (\frac{\psi(r,\vartheta)}{r \sin \vartheta} \vec{e}_{\varphi} \right).$$
    Then you get
    $$\vec{v}=\vec{e}_r \frac{1}{r^2 \sin \vartheta} \partial_{\vartheta} \psi-\vec{e}_{\vartheta} \frac{1}{r \sin \vartheta} \partial_r \psi.$$

4. Oct 22, 2016 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Shoot, we may be using a different symbols for different angles. Awesome, thanks for your response!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted