Strength of magnetic Field

In summary, the strength of the magnetic field needed to attract a magnetic item from 1 meter plus will depend on various factors such as the mass, magnetic susceptibility, magnetization, and magnetic hysterisis of the object. Additionally, the type of material, saturation level, volume, and mass of the object may also play a role in determining the necessary magnetic field strength. However, in general, any magnetic field strength will attract a magnetic object as long as the forces preventing its movement are low enough.
Neutrino98
How strong must the magnetic field be to attract an magnetic item from 1 meter plus?

Physics news on Phys.org
To answer that question I believe you would have to know at least the mass, magnetic susceptibility, magnetization, and possibly the magnetic hysterisis of the object you're trying to move. For an approximate answer I believe you would at least need to know what kind of material it is, whether it is "saturated," its volume, and its mass.

Last edited:
A magnetic field of any strength will attract any magnetic object as long as the forces that prevent the object from moving are low enough. On a kitchen table a small magnet may not move a magnetic object 1 meter away but in zero gravity and a vacuum it should slowly pull the object to the magnet.

What is the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G). It represents the amount of magnetic force exerted on a charged particle moving through the field.

How is the strength of a magnetic field calculated?

The strength of a magnetic field can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * (I / 2πr), where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the source of the field.

What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field can be affected by the intensity of the current, the distance from the source of the field, and the permeability of the material that the field is passing through.

How does the strength of a magnetic field vary with distance?

The strength of a magnetic field decreases as the distance from the source increases. This relationship follows the inverse square law, meaning that the field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

What are some applications of strong magnetic fields?

Strong magnetic fields have a wide range of applications, including in medical imaging (MRI), particle accelerators, electric motors, and magnetic levitation systems. They are also used in scientific research for studying the properties of materials and subatomic particles.