1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strength of magnetism and electrism

1. Jan 28, 2015 #1
    hello

can you give me some idea of the quantity of magnetism, electrism and forces involved?

for example, what is the torque in Nm or the Joules, that I can generate, via a motor perhaps, from a 220V AC motor?

I want to know how much magnetism and electrism I need to rotate a disc that poses a resistance in rotation of 100Nm

etc

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2015 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We can't answer that until you specify how fast you need to rotate that disk.

The next step is to calculate the power, which is proportional to speed and resistance. By the way, the resistance will change with speed.

Then you can match it with a motor capable of supplying that much mechanical power. Motors are usually rated in terms of power, not electric and magnetic field strength.

On the other hand, if you are interested in electric motor design, a good place to start is Wikipedia electric motors. The references and external links in that article will lead you to additional sources.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook