Stress Analysis Problem: Bending and Shear Stress Calculations in SI Units"

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Precursor
Messages
219
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement

(Note: I assumed SI units. So lb=N, inches=m)
[PLAIN]http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/4355/10594047.jpg


The attempt at a solution

For part (a) and (b) I have:

[PLAIN]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/3049/83432480.jpg


However, how do I go about doing part (c)? Do I use the normal bending stress and shear stress formulas?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Precursor said:
(Note: I assumed SI units. So lbf = N, inch = m.)
Excellent.

Precursor: Nice free-body diagram (FBD). Note that Nm should instead be N*m.

When you draw a FBD, you show the dimensions, the applied loads, and the reaction forces. Usually you label key points on a FBD with letters. E.g., you might want to name the point at the origin point A, if you wish, and the other two points B and C. Usually you label the reaction forces as unknowns, such as RAz, MAx, MAy, unless you already know a reaction force with certainty and specifically want to show it as numeric (but usually I still show it as an unknown on the FBD). Notice, your reaction force is correct. But your reaction moments, MAx and MAy, are currently drawn backwards.

No, part (c) does not ask for stress. Write functions for the bending moment, transverse shear force, and torsional moment. The functions will have discontinuities at point B. You could create functions with discontinuities, if you wish. Or you could work it as two separate sets of functions for segments AB and BC, if you wish.