Stress and Thermal Creep in ANSYS Mechanical

In summary, the conversation was about the search for good examples of using ANSYS Mechanical Workbench for thermal creep, specifically using Norton's model. The speaker had looked in the ANSYS help materials but did not find any examples for this topic. They are considering switching to COMSOL, which has more organized tutorials for all topics. The other person did a quick search but did not find anything specific to the topic. It was suggested to follow a tutorial in COMSOL if access to the software is available.
smurtz14
Just wish to know if there are GOOD EXAMPLES out there on the topics above. I am particularly looking for thermal creep using ANSYS Mechanical Workbench ... Thank you much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you looked in the ANSYS help materials? What material model do you plan to use?

Thanks a lot.

Yes, I have looked at the ANSYS support! They DO NOT give any example for the Thermal Creep in particular. That seems to be something holding me back. I am using Norton's model, the basic one with C1, C2 and C3 constants that I have computed/extracted/searched for. Things look fine with the response of the pipe under an internal pressure! But the issue is the temperature variation and its affect on the creep strains in ANSYS Mechanical.

If you know of any other place to look for OR any expert to talk to OR write to, that will be truly appreciated. Otherwise I will switch to COMSOL as it seems to have a pretty organized tutorial set for ALL topics and I did find a good one for Thermal Creep!

Thank you and have a great day.

Sorry to say I don't have any experience in the topic, I did a quick search in the ANSYS customer portal but didn't find anything specific to the topic you're interested in. If you've got a tutorial to follow in Comsol and you have access to the software, sounds like that's the path to go.

Thank you much for your care and time. Appreciate it. Take care.

1. What is stress and thermal creep in ANSYS Mechanical?

Stress and thermal creep refer to two types of mechanical deformation that occur in materials under applied loads and high temperatures, respectively. In ANSYS Mechanical, stress and thermal creep analysis are commonly used to study the behavior of structures and components under these conditions.

2. How does ANSYS Mechanical simulate stress and thermal creep?

ANSYS Mechanical uses finite element analysis (FEA) to simulate stress and thermal creep. FEA breaks down a complex structure into smaller, simpler elements, and solves for the behavior of each element under the given loads and temperature conditions. The results from all elements are then combined to predict the overall behavior of the structure.

3. What are some applications of stress and thermal creep analysis in ANSYS Mechanical?

Stress and thermal creep analysis are commonly used in the design and testing of structural components in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and energy. They can be used to predict how a material will deform and fail under different loading and temperature conditions, allowing engineers to optimize designs and ensure safety and reliability.

4. How does ANSYS Mechanical handle non-linear material behavior in stress and thermal creep analysis?

ANSYS Mechanical has the capability to incorporate non-linear material behavior, such as plasticity and creep, into stress and thermal creep simulations. This allows for a more realistic prediction of the material's behavior under high stress and temperature conditions.

5. What are the limitations of stress and thermal creep analysis in ANSYS Mechanical?

Stress and thermal creep analysis in ANSYS Mechanical are limited by the accuracy of the material properties and assumptions made in the simulation. Additionally, the results may be affected by the mesh size and element type used in the FEA, as well as the boundary conditions and constraints applied. It is important to carefully validate and verify the results against experimental data to ensure accuracy.