Stress energy tensor general relativity

• A
  • Thread starter mertcan
  • Start date
Hi, I would like say that in this link ( ) and starting from 56.28 Suskind tries to find the energy tensor equation using \phi, afterwards he finds a equation similar to wave equation in terms of \phi. My question is: For what does \phi stand ???? I could not capture the meaning of \phi. Could you explain it ???

Answers and Replies

PeterDonis
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
For what does \phi stand
I believe it stands for a scalar field, which is the simplest kind of field (it's just a number at every point of spacetime).

haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
He calls it a "wave field" around 53:50, but as Peter says it's just a scalar field.

Well, I am aware that it is a scalar field, but What kind of a scalar field does it stands for ????? This scalar field does not have any name ???? For instance is it a temperature, energy....... ?????

PeterDonis
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
What kind of a scalar field does it stands for
Any scalar field. AFAICT, Susskind is just explaining the general way that the stress-energy tensor of a scalar field works. He is not trying to explain the physics of any particular scalar field. The only property that would have to be assumed is that the field has units of energy density.