Stretched fabric cylinder between two hoops - what is the shape?

In summary, the conversation discussed a tube of fabric stretched between two hoops, which can also be referred to as a "spool". The shape can be seen in soap films in zero gravity, where it forms a minimal surface called a Catenoid. However, there is a crucial difference between soap films and elastic materials, as the tension in a soap film is constant while the tension in an elastic material increases with stretch. This means that the fabric will only form a minimal surface in special cases where the strains are uniform and isotropic. The conversation also touched on the different criteria for designing such structures.
sperryrand
Hi Everyone,

Imagine a tube of fabric stretched between two hoops, like the one's seen here..
http://www.stretchshapes.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/A1.png
That is, a cylinder made of an elastic material, under tension.

Is there a name for this shape?
Is there a generic equation describing it?
So far, searching the web I've come up with nothing, but I assume I'm using the wrong vocabulary.

Any tips appreciated!
MM

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I severely doubt that this would be considered an official term, but in my circles the shape would be called a "spool". In the case of multiples as in the picture, they would be "stacked spools".

If done with a soap film in zero gravity you get a minimal surface called Catenoid:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenoid

A fabric however can have nonisotropic stresses, so its not exactly a minimal surface anymore.

Last edited:
Thanks. Catenoid has put me in the right direction.

Seems to me there is a crucial difference between soap films and elastic materials. The tension in a soap film is constant, so it adopts a minimal surface area to minimise the surface energy. An elastic material has a modulus, the tension increasing with the stretch.
In the illustration in the OP, the difference is clearest in the left-hand image. The spool shaft is almost straight over the middle third, only flaring at the ends. A soap film would become much narrower in the middle.

haruspex said:
Seems to me there is a crucial difference between soap films and elastic materials. The tension in a soap film is constant, so it adopts a minimal surface area to minimise the surface energy. An elastic material has a modulus, the tension increasing with the stretch.
In the illustration in the OP, the difference is clearest in the left-hand image. The spool shaft is almost straight over the middle third, only flaring at the ends. A soap film would become much narrower in the middle.

Yes, that's what I meant by "nonisotropic stresses". You can stretch the fabric in one direction more than in the other.

So only in special cases (I assume when you make sure the strains are uniform and isotropic) those fabrics will be an exact minimal surface. If minimizing the amount of fabric used was the sole goal, this would be the optimal configuration. But obviously they are other criteria for designing declarations than that.

A.T. said:
Yes, that's what I meant by "nonisotropic stresses". You can stretch the fabric in one direction more than in the other.
So only in special cases (I assume when you make sure the strains are uniform and isotropic) those fabrics will be an exact minimal surface.
Not just isotropic, but isotopic. My point is that if you stretch a bit of soap bubble the tension stays constant, but if you stretch an elastic fabric it will increase. So the cases in which the fabric will assume a minimal surface are trivial.

1. What is the purpose of a stretched fabric cylinder between two hoops?

The purpose of a stretched fabric cylinder between two hoops is to create a rigid structure that can be used for various applications such as tents, shelters, and even as a support for bridges.

2. What is the shape of a stretched fabric cylinder between two hoops?

The shape of a stretched fabric cylinder between two hoops is a combination of a cylinder and a cone. The top and bottom edges of the cylinder are curved, while the sides are straight.

3. How does the shape of the stretched fabric cylinder affect its strength?

The shape of the stretched fabric cylinder plays a crucial role in determining its strength. The curved edges distribute the tension evenly, making the structure more stable and able to withstand external forces.

4. Can the shape of the stretched fabric cylinder be altered?

Yes, the shape of the stretched fabric cylinder can be altered by changing the tension on the fabric or adjusting the distance between the hoops. This can result in different shapes such as a larger cone or a flatter cylinder.

5. What materials are commonly used for a stretched fabric cylinder between two hoops?

The most commonly used material for a stretched fabric cylinder between two hoops is a strong and durable fabric, such as canvas or polyester. The hoops are usually made of metal or plastic, and the structure is held together by ropes or cables.