Would a Strikethrough BB Code Make Forum Corrections Easier?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter tchitt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about implementing a strikethrough option on the forum to make it easier to indicate corrections in posts. The idea was suggested and a quick Google search revealed that it is possible with vBulletin. Some members have also suggested using the "strike" bbcode or the "S" icon, but the "STRIKE" icon was eventually added for consistency.
tchitt
I've always thought this would be a quick, easy, addition to the forums that people could/would actually use. Once in a while we (I) type without thinking or reading as much as I probably should and often need to edit my post to correct my stupidity. A strikethrough option could make such corrections easier to understand because you wouldn't actually have to remove the offending content. A simple way of letting others know you've made a correction while allowing them to be aware of what, exactly, you've stricken from your post.

I think a quick google search gives instructions on how to do this with vBulletin and as far as I'm aware it takes only a minute or two.

For instance: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2329490#post2329490

Probably not a big deal, nor necessary... but it's an idea.

Edit: Wow, I could really use this tag now because I just did it again. There's already a topic on this from the beginning of the month (searched "strikethrough")... Anyway, how about it? :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I thought we were capable of using some limited html but it seems that the <strike>strike tag</strike> doesn't work. :-/

Edit: I'm also pretty sure that I have used it and/or seen it used here before.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I thought we were capable of using some limited html but it seems that the <strike>strike tag</strike> doesn't work. :-/

Edit: I'm also pretty sure that I have used it and/or seen it used here before.

I also think this would be a nice feature, and have also made this suggestion. ([thread=328845]Strike out[/thread] thread). I have not seen it used in postings, but I think it is used as the font to represent the name of a member who is banned.

Greg Bernhardt said:
use the "strike" bbcode

[strike]Testing[/strike]

negitron said:
[strike]Testing[/strike]

[strike]Nice[/strike]! I thought I had tried that. Thanks very much.

[strike]strike one![/strike]
[strike]strike two![/strike]
[strike]you're outta there![/strike]

I like it :smile:.

Last edited:
Talk about coincidence. Just today I had to edit a post of mine with an incorrect statement in it -- I was wishing for a strikethrough feature to make it clearer what my error was and why I was editing my post. Now I know! Thanks.

Thanks, Greg. You just made my [strike]day[/strike] night. :tongue:

Thanks Greg! Has the code been around all along, and we just didn't know it was there or how to use it, or did you just add it as a new feature for us?

Having the icon in the message composition form is good. STRIKE is different from S between the square bracket pairs. Some forums use the "S" and this forum uses the "STRIKE". Use of the icon puts in the proper tag for this forum.

target, no change.
[strike]target[/strike], when use the [ s t r i k e ] target [ / s t r i k e ] tags.

1. How does a strikethrough BB code work?

A strikethrough BB code is a type of text formatting that allows you to cross out words or phrases in your forum post. It is usually denoted by placing the text between two sets of [s] tags, like [s]example[/s]. When the post is published, the text within the tags will appear with a line through it, indicating that it has been struck through.

2. Can a strikethrough BB code be used for more than just correcting mistakes?

Yes, a strikethrough BB code can also be used for a variety of purposes, such as indicating changes or updates in a post, adding emphasis to certain words or phrases, or creating a sense of humor or sarcasm in the text.

3. Does using a strikethrough BB code affect the readability of a forum post?

No, using a strikethrough BB code does not affect the readability of a forum post. The text within the tags will still be visible and readable, but with a line through it. This can actually make the post more dynamic and visually interesting for readers.

4. Are there any limitations to using a strikethrough BB code for forum corrections?

While a strikethrough BB code can be a useful tool for making corrections in a forum post, it may not always be appropriate for more extensive or complex edits. In these cases, it may be better to simply edit the original post instead of using the strikethrough BB code.

5. Can a strikethrough BB code be used in all types of forums and platforms?

The use of BB codes may vary depending on the forum or platform. While most forums will support basic BB codes, it is always best to check the specific guidelines or instructions for the forum you are using to ensure that the strikethrough BB code will work as intended.