1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

String gets deformed and released - derive equation

1. Sep 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This graph shows an infinite string on the x-axis. The middle part is deformed as shown. The string is released at time t=0
    - give the analytical solution of the problem, i.e. find upload_2015-9-7_14-51-42.png for t>0
    - sketch the string displacement \xi(x) for a sequence of times t. (I'd like to know what some good times would be, but I guess that would be clear once I get the equation.
    - sketch the characteristics diagram (x,t diagram) for the problem. (I know I could just plug in points to the equation, but is there an organized way to do this?)

upload_2015-9-7_14-43-14.png
    2. Relevant equations

(see part 3)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the graph above is expressed as follows:
    tex?%5CLARGE%20%5Cxi%28x%2C0%29%3D%5Csin%7Bx%7D%20%5Ccdot%20rect%7B%5Cfrac%7Bx%7D%7B2%5Cpi%7D%7D.gif
    I need to get the derivative of this in order to find upload_2015-9-7_14-56-41.png it looks like it'll be the chain rule with cosine as the derivative of sine, and the derivative of the rect will be impulses at -pi and +pi, but how do I express that mathematically? I think it's Dirac delta or something, but could someone please remind me how to write it? It's been a while since I had to do this.
    On the other hand, there are no t's in the equation so does this mean the derivative would be 0?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The fact that they say that the string is "released" indicates that the initial condition on the velocity is zero. Once you know this, you can simply apply d'Alembert's solution to the wave equation and you are done.

4. Sep 8, 2015 #3
    Thanks for your response. But I have to graph it too, what would be some good times to plug in? And how do I make the characteristics diagram?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted