Sketch and mathematically represent pdf of given signal

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
dipo101
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I've been asked to sketch and mathematically represent the pdf of 2 signals:

(a) rep2T{5 rect(t/T) - rect((t-T)/T)}
(b) rep2T{2 rect(t/T) + 4Arect(2t/T)}


A(t) is the lambda function
A(t) = 1- t for 0 <= t <= 1
1+t for -1 <= t <= 0

Any help would be much appreciated!

Homework Equations


I understand how to sketch the signals itself. However, how can I derive the pdf of the function?

The Attempt at a Solution


The sketched signal is :
(a) 2T period form with a 5V amplitude rectangular lasting for 1T and -1V amplitude rectangular one lasting also for 1T.
(b) A 1T zero pulse, followed by a triangular waveform(amp = 4V) with a rect base( amp = 2V) [i.e waveform goes from 0V to 6V], the latter waveform lasts for 1T as well.

However, how I do I derive the pdf from this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Usually, the pdf is a function which looks a good deal like the function itself, but integrates to 1 over the entire domain. In this case, you would want to define it over one period.
What do the current forms integrate to? How would you appropriately scale them so the integral becomes 1 over the period?