Behavior of strings with displacement in the middle

In summary, the conversation discusses the displacement of two different strings, one that is infinite on one side and one that is infinite on both sides. The center displacement at x=0 is the same for both strings. The G term is expected to go to 0 due to the absence of an incoming wave. The solution for the string that is infinite on one side would not be affected if the string was infinite on both sides. Suggestions for graphing the strings at representative times and drawing a characteristics diagram are requested.
snickersnee

Homework Statement

[/B]
I have a string that's infinite on one side, as well as a string that's infinite on both sides. The displacement at the center (x=0) is the same for both, as shown in the pictures.

upload_2015-9-8_20-13-7.png
upload_2015-9-8_20-13-52.png

Homework Equations

upload_2015-9-8_20-16-40.png
[/B]
I think the G term goes to 0 because there's no incoming wave but I'm not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my solution for the string that's infinite on one side, would this be any different if the string was infinite on both sides? Maybe not because multiplying by H(t) makes the function zero at negative values of x. I'd appreciate your comments.
upload_2015-9-8_20-10-53.png

I also need to graph the strings at a few representative times, and draw the characteristics diagram, so if someone has any suggestions regarding those steps it would be well appreciated. In particular, what times would be representative? And how would I go about drawing the characteristics diagram? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-8_20-12-45.png
    upload_2015-9-8_20-12-45.png
    676 bytes · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
Try using words to describe what you expect would happen in each case.

1. What is displacement of a string?

Displacement of a string refers to the change in position of a string from its original state. This can be measured in terms of distance and direction.

2. How does displacement affect the behavior of a string?

Displacement in the middle of a string can cause a change in its tension, which can affect the frequency and wavelength of the vibrations. This can ultimately impact the sound produced by the string.

3. Can the displacement of a string be controlled?

Yes, the displacement of a string can be controlled by adjusting the tension and length of the string. This is commonly done by musicians when tuning their instruments.

4. What factors can cause displacement in the middle of a string?

Displacement in the middle of a string can be caused by external forces, such as plucking or striking the string, or by changes in temperature and humidity which can affect the tension of the string.

5. How does the displacement of a string affect its harmonics?

The displacement of a string can affect the harmonics produced by the string. Higher displacements can result in a wider range of harmonics being produced, while lower displacements may result in a more limited range of harmonics.