1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Behavior of strings with displacement in the middle

1. Sep 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a string that's infinite on one side, as well as a string that's infinite on both sides. The displacement at the center (x=0) is the same for both, as shown in the pictures.

upload_2015-9-8_20-13-7.png upload_2015-9-8_20-13-52.png

2. Relevant equations
    upload_2015-9-8_20-16-40.png

I think the G term goes to 0 because there's no incoming wave but I'm not sure

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here's my solution for the string that's infinite on one side, would this be any different if the string was infinite on both sides? Maybe not because multiplying by H(t) makes the function zero at negative values of x. I'd appreciate your comments.
    upload_2015-9-8_20-10-53.png
    I also need to graph the strings at a few representative times, and draw the characteristics diagram, so if someone has any suggestions regarding those steps it would be well appreciated. In particular, what times would be representative? And how would I go about drawing the characteristics diagram? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Try using words to describe what you expect would happen in each case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted