Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

String matrix models

1. Sep 29, 2011 #1
    Question 1: What is the status of string random matrix models (~ triangulated random surfaces) with c>1?

In my limited search, I have just come across a few papers by Frank Ferrari (in 2000-2002) on this. But, they applied, if I understand correctly, to a few cases with some specific kind of singularities in their moduli space or some higgs field. See his lecture at http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0205171 and references therein.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

On a slightly different note...
    Question 2: How is the BFSS matrix model (and its derivatives for other critical string theories) related to the random matrix models of triangulated worldsheets? My understanding is that the former is a nonperturbative formulation of some critical string theories, while the latter is a perturbative formulation of (noncritical only?) string theories. But, what are the similarities and connections between these two applications of random matrix theories?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2011 #2
    Any one? :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook