1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

String Theory, Number Operator , Mass of States

1. Nov 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have the following definition of the space-time coordinates

defxmodes.png
    2. Relevant equations

Working in a certain gauge we can also do: alphan-.png
    From which we can find:

mass.png

Where ##N_{lc} ## sums over the transverse oscillation modes only.
    3. The attempt at a solution

states.png

MY QUESTION:

I don't understand the RHS of the first excited state, how does ##N## take integer values? what exactly are the ##\alpha##?

So (here the summation is over all modes, whereas above it is over the transvere oscillation modes only but ignoring this)

number operator.png

so for the first excited state do we have all alpha modes are zero except ##\alpha_{-1}## ?

So Then ## N= \alpha^{j}_{-1} ## ? how is this ##N=1##?

So for the next excited state I expect:

## m^2 \alpha_{-1}^i \alpha_{-1}^j |p^i>=m^2\alpha^{j}_{-2}|p^i>=(2-a) \alpha_{-1}^i \alpha_{-1}^j |p^i>=(2-a) \alpha_{-2}^j |p^i> ## right?

And I am told in my notes that this can be achieved by either ##\alpha_{-1}^i \alpha_{-1}^j |p^i> ## or ##\alpha_{-2}^i##

How does this get ##N=2##? since, well looking at ## \alpha_{-1}^i \alpha_{-1}^j ##, the sum in ##N## is over ##n## not ##i## or ##j## so am I looking at two different number operators here?

For the other expression So Then ## N= \alpha^{j}_{-2} ## ? how is this ##N=2##?

I'm just really confused as you can tel..

Many thanks for your help in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2017 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted