String theory: simple question.

But you should also be familiar with differential geometry and topology, and be able to handle the math and physics at the level of a theoretical physicist. In summary, The conversation discusses the topic of unifying general relativity and quantum mechanics, specifically mentioning string theory and loop quantum gravity. The question is posed about which graduate program would be best for studying these theories, with the answer being theoretical physics and the need for understanding advanced mathematics and physics.
Vahsek
Hi everyone,
I've always wondered what's that fuss for unifying general relativity and quantum mechanics all about. I stumbled upon things like string theory(or M theory) and even loop quantum gravity( which I think is as good as string theory despite rumors).

My question is : which program at graduate level should you choose to study the whole of string theory and loop quantum gravity? I bet it is theoretical particle physics, am I right? (Because these 2 theories go beyond the standard model..?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Vahsek said:
which program at graduate level should you choose to study the whole of string theory and loop quantum gravity? I bet it is theoretical particle physics, am I right?
Yes, of course theoretical physics.

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of particles and their interactions. It proposes that all particles in the universe are composed of tiny, one-dimensional strings rather than point-like particles.

2. How does string theory differ from other theories?

String theory differs from other theories, such as quantum field theory and general relativity, in that it attempts to unify all four fundamental forces in nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force) into a single framework.

3. What is the evidence for string theory?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for string theory. However, it has been successful in resolving some theoretical issues in physics, such as the incompatibility between quantum mechanics and general relativity. It also makes predictions that could potentially be tested in future experiments, such as the existence of extra dimensions.

4. Can string theory be proven?

As with any scientific theory, it cannot be proven definitively. However, it can be supported by evidence and used to make testable predictions. If these predictions are confirmed by experiments, it would provide strong support for the validity of string theory.

5. Has string theory been confirmed by experiments?

As mentioned earlier, there is currently no direct experimental evidence for string theory. However, there have been some indirect tests that have provided support for certain aspects of the theory. The search for concrete evidence is an ongoing process and is a key focus of research in theoretical physics.