Strings as Hoola Hoops: Exploring their Movement and Interactions

• B
  • Thread starter Dook
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strings
In summary, there are 3 closed strings in string theory with different masses. Axions are not the same as the Peccei-Quinn axions.
Dook
Is this correct? Strings are one dimensional objects that form circles (hoola hoops) that flip in certain directions as they move through space. The strings can collide with other hoola hoops and break, then reform into other hoola hoops with different properties.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are leaving out the fact that stings can be closed (which you describe) OR open. I'm not talking about a broken hoop that reforms, I mean just a string.

So what would be a good analogy?

ProfuselyQuarky said:
So what would be a good analogy?
Why do you need an analogy? There are open strings and closed strings.

Hula hoop is not a good analogy because hula hoop is rigid while string is elastic. A much better analogy is a rubber band.

Last edited:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky
phinds said:
You are leaving out the fact that stings can be closed (which you describe) OR open. I'm not talking about a broken hoop that reforms, I mean just a string.
And if I remember correctly, the only thing that would be composed of closed strings is gravity. Everything else must be open.

newjerseyrunner said:
And if I remember correctly, the only thing that would be composed of closed strings is gravity. Everything else must be open.

We have 3 closed strings
graviton with spin 2
Axion and Delaton with spin 0
all 3 massless
calculated out of all stringtheories and several M theory T duality cases the Axion is massless (Witten), different to quantummechanics predictions that Axion should have mass for dark matter
These are the earliest natural predictions out of string theory

newjerseyrunner said:

If you are interested in the states (particles) that show up in string theory, I liked the treatment in Theissen and Lust's book which explicitly looks at the "full" spectrum of states.
MacRudi said:
<snip>
different to quantummechanics predictions that Axion should have mass for dark matter
</snip>

Are you sure those are the same axions?
I know that there are several things we call an axion in string theory. A while back I encountered axions in a particular parametrisation of the metric on an internal space. They aren't the same as the Peccei-Quinn axions. (I think you meant those?)
It had something to do with the way the scalars show up in the action, if it show up in a certain form people call them axions. (details are foggy)

JorisL said:
If you are interested in the states (particles) that show up in string theory, I liked the treatment in Theissen and Lust's book which explicitly looks at the "full" spectrum of states.Are you sure those are the same axions?
I know that there are several things we call an axion in string theory. A while back I encountered axions in a particular parametrisation of the metric on an internal space. They aren't the same as the Peccei-Quinn axions. (I think you meant those?)
It had something to do with the way the scalars show up in the action, if it show up in a certain form people call them axions. (details are foggy)

There are 2 Modells out of the 80s. But I'm not sure if this is today meant, what you mean.
I mean the Pecci Quinn Axion
you mean maybe the building up out of branes?
Or do you mean the Axino?

Maybe I have to look in Kusters textbook. If you have concret informations I would be glad to see it.

Last edited:
The problem is that often we use the same name for quite different things.
I was wondering if the axion you spoke of was the PQ axion or one of those that just get lumped together because they are the same if you look at them from a distance (i.e. without looking closely).
An example could be states with the same index structure as a photon, you still have to check that it actually _is_ a photon.
With axions this sometimes doesn't happen.

I'll see if I can dig something up although it will likely be for next week as I'm busy at the moment.

Likes MacRudi

1. How do strings function as hoola hoops?

The movement of strings as hoola hoops is dependent on the tension and velocity of the string. When a string is spun at a high velocity, it creates a circular motion, similar to that of a hoola hoop.

2. What factors influence the movement of strings as hoola hoops?

The movement of strings as hoola hoops is influenced by the tension, length, and thickness of the string, as well as the velocity at which it is spun.

3. Can strings of different materials be used as hoola hoops?

Yes, strings of different materials can be used as hoola hoops. However, the material of the string can affect the tension and weight, thus impacting the movement and interaction of the string as a hoola hoop.

4. How do strings interact with each other when used as hoola hoops?

When multiple strings are used as hoola hoops, their movements and interactions can be influenced by each other. For example, they may tangle or create complex patterns as they spin.

5. What are the potential applications of studying strings as hoola hoops?

Studying the movement and interactions of strings as hoola hoops can have practical applications in various fields, such as robotics, physics, and sports. It can also provide insights into the behavior of flexible objects in motion.