Choose Your Path: Strings or Loops?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to convince a smart student to go into the field of either loop quantum gravity or string theory. The general consensus is that the student should make their own decision based on their interests and preferences. However, it is suggested to go towards the approach that feels closer to them after learning about quantum field theory and general relativity. Additionally, it is mentioned that there are other approaches besides just strings and loops, and that it is important to have a deep understanding of both theories before making a decision. It is also recommended to not view the two theories as opposing sides, but rather to consider them as complementary approaches to understanding quantum gravity. Some recommended resources for further reading are also provided.
Casco
This goes for the people of loop quantum gravity and string theory. Think that you want to convince a very smart student of going into your field (strings or loops). How would you convince him ??

But, by doing it on a 5 lines paragraph talking about your theory and a 5 lines paragraph talking about the other one.

It is assumed that the student it is interested equally for both.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a poor beginning for a researcher. You should be able to make up your own mind, at the time you need to actually make the choice, based on your own preferences. My take is : go where I don't work.

humanino said:
This is a poor beginning for a researcher. You should be able to make up your own mind, at the time you need to actually make the choice, based on your own preferences. My take is : go where I don't work.

I think that I should have mentioned that the purpose of this thread is to make a discussion about this two theories, in order undergraduate students like me, so we can have a deeper vision about them.

Have you completed your study of general relativity and quantum field theory ?

humanino said:
Have you completed your study of general relativity and quantum field theory ?

General relativity yes, about QFT let's say nothing.

Well, I will not be able to continue right now, so I will quit doing the devil's advocate. Before leaving I will add a couple of more constructive points.

The simplest way to decide for you is : once you have learned quantum field theory and general relativity, go for the approach which you feel closer to. String theory clearly grows out of quantum gauge fields. Loop quantum gravity is more on the side of general relativists. But : there are other approaches as well ! So do not forget them either.

The two first are rather old by now, but in case you have not read yet :
A dialog on quantum gravity
Loop quantum gravity: an outside view
A critical look at strings

Good luck in your investigations.

Casco said:
I think that I should have mentioned that the purpose of this thread is to make a discussion about this two theories, in order undergraduate students like me, so we can have a deeper vision about them.

To get a deeper vision you should not set up a debate. The adversarial "fight" framework will not lead to a deeper understanding.

Personally I find everything Humanino told you to be just right. He and I are interested in different areas of research (I follow mainly LQG research, and he mainly string I think) but I strongly agree with what he said to you.

Maybe you can rephrase the question in a more constructive way. Try this: imagine you have already decided to go into NEITHER ONE but have chosen an entirely different specialty, say COSMOLOGY. Then ask the same people to tell you what they think you should know about stringloopery. For breadth, a young cosmologist should probably know something about both the string and the loop research programs.

You asked for "5 line paragraphs". :biggrin: I think a young cosmologist should know at least that much about both loop and string research---probably more.

Indeed there was just last month an elite weeklong workshop on loop AND string as they apply to current questions in cosmology, with top experts in all three fields. It was on the Greek island of Naxos. I will get a link.

These days the theme is no so much "this versus that" as getting together and sharing ideas about the real problems (like early universe and dark energy or if you prefer the cosmological constant.)

Also the beginning of the LHC era has changed things drastically for particle theorists. It is a new ballgame. People who 5 years ago would have been doing nothing but string are shifting into areas that have more to do with what the LHC can explore. It does not look as if the LHC will say much about string but it will cause a big ferment in ordinary non-string particle theory. People are trying to think up alternatives to the lowenergy supersymmetry and the standardmodel Higgs field which everybody expected but so far have not shown up.

I'll get that Naxos workshop link. Major people like Kelly Stelle, Abhay Asktekar, Robert Brandenberger, Costas Bachas, Carlo Rovelli, Joe Silk.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3510863#post3510863
http://www.physics.ntua.gr/cosmo11/Naxos2011/sci_prog.html

Lately the stringsters are not staying in their own clubhouse, they are getting out and mixing with the loopsters, it's the order of the day :biggrin: And a lot of people are crossing research lines (I think because of what LHC is finding/not finding----or will be able to test over the next decade.)

Last edited:
humanino said:
The simplest way to decide for you is : once you have learned quantum field theory and general relativity, go for the approach which you feel closer to. String theory clearly grows out of quantum gauge fields. Loop quantum gravity is more on the side of general relativists

The two first are rather old by now, but in case you have not read yet :
A dialog on quantum gravity
Loop quantum gravity: an outside view
A critical look at strings
I agree with humanino's recommendations.

Another short remark: strings are an approach towards unification of all forces including gravity, whereas loops are an approach to quantize gravity w/o taking other forces into account; in a second step one can add other forces on top (including supersymmetry / supergravity), but there is no attempt for unification, just for "compatibility".

Someone interested in the difference between loops and string should study the difference. String phenomenology is carried out at a level of approximation somewhat removed from the distinctive problems of quantum gravity. The pluralism of LQG is such that there are many opportunities for conceptual comparison between LQG and the "QG" part of string theory.

1. What is the difference between strings and loops?

Strings are sequences of characters that are used to represent text in programming. Loops, on the other hand, are structures that allow a section of code to be repeated multiple times.

2. How do I know when to use strings or loops in my code?

Strings are typically used for manipulating and storing text, while loops are used for executing a set of instructions repeatedly. You can use strings to store data and then use loops to iterate through the data and perform operations on it.

3. What are some common use cases for strings and loops?

Strings are commonly used for tasks such as data validation, text formatting, and creating dynamic messages. Loops are frequently used for tasks such as data processing, searching and sorting through data, and automating repetitive tasks.

4. Can I use both strings and loops in the same program?

Yes, strings and loops are often used together in programming. For example, you can use a loop to iterate through a string and perform operations on each character.

5. Are there any best practices for using strings and loops?

It is important to use strings and loops efficiently and effectively in your code. Some best practices include using built-in string functions instead of manually manipulating strings, and using optimized loop structures to improve performance. It is also important to properly initialize and terminate loops to avoid infinite loops.