Structure Mechanics-Three Pinned/Hinged Arches

In summary: C.In summary, the author sets the origin at the left end of the bridge, solves for the vertical and horizontal forces using equilibrium of moments, and calculates the distances between points.
pj33
Homework Statement
Calculate the reaction Forces at A and B
Relevant Equations
Section Method
Equilibirum of moments
The Example 2 at this site ' http://ocw.ump.edu.my/pluginfile.php/1435/mod_resource/content/2/Chapter%205%20%E2%80%93%20Three%20Pinned%20Arch.pdf ' (page 14):
It is parabolic hence the equation is y = (x^2)/10.
I used the section method between A-D and applied equilibrium of moment to find a relation between the vertical and horizontal reaction at A and then I used again the section method between A-C and again equilibrium of moments.

When i solved the simultenoeous equations I didnt get the right answer, is there a reason why the section method didnt work on a 3hinged arch?

Physics news on Phys.org
pj33 said:
Homework Statement:: Calculate the reaction Forces at A and B
Homework Equations:: Section Method
Equilibirum of moments

The Example 2 at this site ' http://ocw.ump.edu.my/pluginfile.php/1435/mod_resource/content/2/Chapter%205%20%E2%80%93%20Three%20Pinned%20Arch.pdf ' (page 14):
It is parabolic hence the equation is y = (x^2)/10.
I used the section method between A-D and applied equilibrium of moment to find a relation between the vertical and horizontal reaction at A and then I used again the section method between A-C and again equilibrium of moments.

When i solved the simultenoeous equations I didnt get the right answer, is there a reason why the section method didnt work on a 3hinged arch?
I looked through the pdf but I don't see what you are talking about. I did not find the equation ##y = \frac {x^2}{10}## anywhere in this document.

Mark44 said:
I looked through the pdf but I don't see what you are talking about. I did not find the equation ##y = \frac {x^2}{10}## anywhere in this document.
Sorry i didnt explain my thought,
It says it is parabolic, so I set the origin at C with y-positive downwards and x-positive towards the right.
I used y = ax^2, where i set x=5 and y = 5/2

Please post an image of just the page you're talking about, not the whole pdf. It's difficult to find a particular page, since the pages aren't numbered in the pdf.

It is a bit hard to do this because I am on a phone now, I am talkign about Example 2

Here is a pdf with the example and the answers

Attachments

• Doc2.pdf
    173.7 KB · Views: 236
To be honest, I'm not following all of the calculations in the pdf. One thing that the author is doing that's different from what you're doing is to put the origin in a different place. Based on example 1 (I realize you're asking about example 2), the author puts the origin at the left end of the bridge, not at the apex of the bridge. Also, the y-axis is positive upward, not downward as you have described. This makes the equation of the bridge ##y = 0.1x(x - 10)##.

One thing that isn't clear to me in the image is where it says 16kN/m.

Mark44 said:
To be honest, I'm not following all of the calculations in the pdf. One thing that the author is doing that's different from what you're doing is to put the origin in a different place. Based on example 1 (I realize you're asking about example 2), the author puts the origin at the left end of the bridge, not at the apex of the bridge. Also, the y-axis is positive upward, not downward as you have described. This makes the equation of the bridge ##y = 0.1x(x - 10)##.

One thing that isn't clear to me in the image is where it says 16kN/m.
I tried my way to solve it, I my equation describes the same curve as yours, I just need it to calculate the distances.
On the pdf it uses equilibrium of moments over the whole curve, I try to use the method of sections and moment equilibirum by I didnt get the same answer, is there a reason for that? I was sure that would work but it didnt and I don't know why.
For the last bit of 16kN/m I thing it just means that there is an extra vertical force exerted there, hence that force is equal to 16*5kN and it is exerted at 2.5m right to A.

Are there any restrictions on the Method Of Sections? Can I use the method of section on joints?

Last edited:
I worked it slightly differently from the example, and got the same answers as the handout. Here's how I did it:

1) Considering the entire arch, a sum of moments about A results in a vertical force component at B of 20 kN.

2) The vertical force component at A can be found by either sum of moments about B or by sum of vertical forces. Either way results in the same answer: 60 kN.

3) Make an FBD of segment BC, and calculate sum of moments about C to get the horizontal force component at C of 40 kN.

4) The horizontal force component at B is equal and opposite to the horizontal force component at C.

5) The horizontal force component at A can be found the same way, or by realizing that it is equal and opposite to the horizontal force component at B.
All of this is exactly the same as in your Doc2.pdf, just expanded.

6) Use the equation of a parabola that goes through the points A, B, and C to get the XY coordinates of Point D, which is 2.5 to the right of A (as is given), and 1.875 m up from A (as noted in the handout). I worked directly from the equation of a parabola starting a C with the positive direction downward to make the calculation easier (Y = 0.1 * X^2).

7) Make an FBD of segment AD. Here I did it differently from the example. I used only the horizontal and vertical force components to get the horizontal and vertical force components at D, then sum of moments about A to get the moment at D. I got the same answer as in the handout.

8) The force component at D parallel to the arch can be found by calculating the slope of the arch at D, then summing the force components at D in that direction. I got the same answer as in the handout.

I did not look at the equations in the handout for calculating the coordinates and slope at D, but worked with the simple equation (Y = 0.1 * X^2), and it's derivative. When solving this type of problem, keep certain basic principles in mind:

1) Sum of forces always equals zero, regardless of the coordinate system. So use the coordinate system that makes the problem easiest to solve.

2) When the desired result is force components in a particular direction, it may be easier to calculate all forces in some other direction, then find the desired force components as the last step.

3) FBD's always work, and you can cut a part anywhere you want to make an FBD.

Likes phinds, atyy, pj33 and 1 other person
pj33 said:
On the pdf it uses equilibrium of moments over the whole curve, I try to use the method of sections and moment equilibirum by I didnt get the same answer, is there a reason for that?
The glib answer is "because you did it wrong." Unfortunately, it's impossible to say where you made mistakes because you didn't show your work.

jrmichler said:
I worked it slightly differently from the example, and got the same answers as the handout. Here's how I did it:

1) Considering the entire arch, a sum of moments about A results in a vertical force component at B of 20 kN.

2) The vertical force component at A can be found by either sum of moments about B or by sum of vertical forces. Either way results in the same answer: 60 kN.

3) Make an FBD of segment BC, and calculate sum of moments about C to get the horizontal force component at C of 40 kN.

4) The horizontal force component at B is equal and opposite to the horizontal force component at C.

5) The horizontal force component at A can be found the same way, or by realizing that it is equal and opposite to the horizontal force component at B.
All of this is exactly the same as in your Doc2.pdf, just expanded.

6) Use the equation of a parabola that goes through the points A, B, and C to get the XY coordinates of Point D, which is 2.5 to the right of A (as is given), and 1.875 m up from A (as noted in the handout). I worked directly from the equation of a parabola starting a C with the positive direction downward to make the calculation easier (Y = 0.1 * X^2).

7) Make an FBD of segment AD. Here I did it differently from the example. I used only the horizontal and vertical force components to get the horizontal and vertical force components at D, then sum of moments about A to get the moment at D. I got the same answer as in the handout.

8) The force component at D parallel to the arch can be found by calculating the slope of the arch at D, then summing the force components at D in that direction. I got the same answer as in the handout.

I did not look at the equations in the handout for calculating the coordinates and slope at D, but worked with the simple equation (Y = 0.1 * X^2), and it's derivative. When solving this type of problem, keep certain basic principles in mind:

1) Sum of forces always equals zero, regardless of the coordinate system. So use the coordinate system that makes the problem easiest to solve.

2) When the desired result is force components in a particular direction, it may be easier to calculate all forces in some other direction, then find the desired force components as the last step.

3) FBD's always work, and you can cut a part anywhere you want to make an FBD.
Thank you very much, I think my mistake before when I was using a certain segment, it was that i ignores the bending moment.
Where you say ''I used only the horizontal and vertical force components to get the horizontal and vertical force components at D, then sum of moments about A to get the moment at D.'', you mean that you calculated the bending moment right?

vela said:
The glib answer is "because you did it wrong." Unfortunately, it's impossible to say where you made mistakes because you didn't show your work.
The calculations were easy to do, my concept was wrong but I couldn't say which part was wrong, as it seems I ignored the bending moment.

What is a three pinned/hinged arch?

A three pinned/hinged arch is a type of structural element that is composed of three main components: two supports (known as hinges or pins) on either end, and a curved member (known as the arch) that spans between the two supports.

What is the purpose of a three pinned/hinged arch?

A three pinned/hinged arch is used to support loads, such as the weight of a building or bridge, and transfer them to the ground. It is a strong and stable structure that can span large distances without the need for additional support columns or walls.

How do three pinned/hinged arches distribute weight?

Three pinned/hinged arches distribute weight by transferring it from the curve of the arch to the supports at the ends. The weight is then further distributed to the ground through these supports. This distribution of weight allows the arch to maintain its shape and support heavy loads.

What are the advantages of using three pinned/hinged arches?

Three pinned/hinged arches have several advantages, including their ability to span large distances, their strength and stability, and their aesthetic appeal. They also require less material compared to other structural elements, making them a cost-effective option.

What are some common uses for three pinned/hinged arches?

Three pinned/hinged arches are commonly used in the construction of bridges, tunnels, and large buildings. They can also be found in historical architecture, such as ancient Roman aqueducts and Gothic cathedrals. Additionally, they are often used in modern architecture for their aesthetic appeal.