Struggle learning fluid mechanics

In summary, the speaker is a fourth-year mechanical engineering student who is struggling with a new fluid mechanics course that focuses on using Stokes equations to derive momentum, continuity, and energy equations. The teacher seems to only cater to those who already have a strong understanding of the subject and recommends an old book from Germany. The speaker is looking for recommended books or tips on how to understand the material better. They are directed to check out a website for resources and are advised to ask for help in a forum.
Megaman223
Hi

I just started on my fourth year of a masters degree in mechanical engineering, and I got this fluid mechanics course that is nothing like anything I have had before. This course is based on finding expressions using Stokes equations. Combining and deriving momentum, continuity and energy equations. I am used to solving problems in physics with a given pressure, temp, velocity and so on, but this is very different.

To me my teacher seems to derive tons of formulas without really explaining "why he did what he did". He looks like Albert Einstein and talks in a very old fashion, he even recommended a book from 1950's Germany. It's like the lessons is only good for those who already knows what he is talking about.
The book by Frank M. White (Viscous fluid flows) does not seem to be much better.

So far I'm 1-2 months into the semester and I have been looking at lots of problems, but understood very little. I am looking for recommended books or general tips on how to go about this.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids, which include liquids and gases. It involves the study of how fluids flow, the forces that act on them, and how they interact with their surroundings.

2. Why is learning fluid mechanics considered a struggle?

Learning fluid mechanics can be challenging because it involves complex mathematical equations and concepts. It also requires a strong understanding of physics and the ability to visualize abstract concepts.

3. What are some common difficulties in learning fluid mechanics?

Some common difficulties in learning fluid mechanics include understanding the fundamentals of fluid properties and their behavior, applying mathematical equations to solve problems, and visualizing fluid flow in different scenarios.

4. How can one improve their understanding of fluid mechanics?

To improve understanding of fluid mechanics, one can practice solving problems, seek help from a knowledgeable tutor or mentor, and use visual aids such as diagrams and animations to better understand fluid behavior.

5. What are some real-world applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has many practical applications, such as designing aircrafts and cars, understanding weather patterns, and developing medical devices. It also plays a crucial role in industries like aerospace, automotive, and oil and gas.