Struggling to decide on MSc following chemistry degree

In summary, your viewpoints suggest you are either very early in college or your're still in high school. Best goal now is find your way to what you want to study for an UNDERGRADUATE degree first. A job that pays well may have some very unattractive frustrations - some technical, some regulatory, and some based on people personalities. Most jobs along the lines or chemical engineering, materials science, or chemistry, are not "easy to come by" regardless of the wage rate or salary. A person is lucky and finds a job in only a few weeks of searching & applying. Figure what are you interested in, study for a degree in it (bachelor's degree), learn well, try to earn very good and excellent grades
smulc
I was hoping for a bit of advice about the options I'm considering, or if anyone knows of a good place I can ask the same question, that would also be appreciated. I'm considering a few different masters degrees but there isn't really one that I think I'd enjoy significantly more than the others. So the decision will be made on career prospects, salary and whether a certain path will make it easier to emigrate to Canada at some point (from the UK).

Chemical engineering is the first possibility as the career prospects are great from what I've read. I'm not sure if sustainable chemical engineering would be better though. The sustainable option sounds as though it would be good for the future but I don't want to end up in a position where I struggle to get a job as that kind of expertise isn't as sought after yet. This is just an assumption though, hopefully someone that has experience with this could offer some input.

Another option is forensic chemistry. It doesn't look as though there's as much money in this, but I thought the jobs may be a bit easier to come by and it still sounds enjoyable.

Then I've briefly looked at materials design and process control but I need to research those a bit more.

Any input or suggestions on where I can research further would be appreciated. Thanks.

smulc,
Your viewpoints suggest you are either very early in college or your're still in high school. Best goal now is find your way to what you want to study for an UNDERGRADUATE degree first. A job that pays well may have some very unattractive frustrations - some technical, some regulatory, and some based on people personalities. A job which you believe now to be enjoyable may in reality be depressing and stressful. Most jobs along the lines or chemical engineering, materials science, or chemistry, are not "easy to come by" regardless of the wage rate or salary. Sometimes, a person is lucky and finds a job in only a few weeks of searching & applying.
Figure what are you interested in, study for a degree in it (bachelor's degree), learn well, try to earn very good and excellent grades, try to find academic research or get into some internship or on-the-job training

symbolipoint said:
smulc,
Your viewpoints suggest you are either very early in college or your're still in high school. Best goal now is find your way to what you want to study for an UNDERGRADUATE degree first. A job that pays well may have some very unattractive frustrations - some technical, some regulatory, and some based on people personalities. A job which you believe now to be enjoyable may in reality be depressing and stressful. Most jobs along the lines or chemical engineering, materials science, or chemistry, are not "easy to come by" regardless of the wage rate or salary. Sometimes, a person is lucky and finds a job in only a few weeks of searching & applying.
Figure what are you interested in, study for a degree in it (bachelor's degree), learn well, try to earn very good and excellent grades, try to find academic research or get into some internship or on-the-job training

Which part of my post makes it sound like I must be in high school? I'm nearing the end of a bachelor's degree in chemistry and on track to graduate with a 2:1. Whether I'm in high school or close to graduating university doesn't really have any bearing on my knowledge of the professions I'm enquiring about though. I'm just looking for advice from people that might work in some of the mentioned fields. I don't believe I'd enjoy any of them significantly more than the others, so that's why I'm considering other factors which may help one stand out above the rest.

I was able to find out myself that it's a bad time to be a chemical engineer working in the oil industry (at least in the UK) as there are a lot of people being made redundant. That's the type of thing I was referring to when I said some jobs might be easier to come by than others.

Which part? Most of it. No way to know for sure unless you say so. You are now in a position to make your decision of what to choose.

I'm not yet in a position to choose, hence my original reason for posting. Reaching a certain point in my education doesn't suddenly give me knowledge about the present state of different industries. Thanks anyway though.

If anyone has experience in chemical engineering, forensic science, materials design or process control and could offer any advice, I'd appreciate it. Anything that might be relevant to a graduate looking to get started in the industry, whether it's a bad time for career prospects, etc.

Part of what smulc said:
Which part of my post makes it sound like I must be in high school? I'm nearing the end of a bachelor's degree in chemistry and on track to graduate with a 2:1. Whether I'm in high school or close to graduating university doesn't really have any bearing on my knowledge of the professions I'm enquiring about though. I'm just looking for advice from people that might work in some of the mentioned fields. I don't believe I'd enjoy any of them significantly more than the others, so that's why I'm considering other factors which may help one stand out above the rest.
One would guess that you chose Chemistry because you find it an interesting subject and enjoy learning what you have been studying. ANY Engineering course would also be helpful in helping you to develop and be employable, even if you're not an Engineering degree objective student. Also, ANY computer science courses beyond the minimum requirement for your degree would be helpful for your employability.

In considering what work to find, try to talk to companies which produce nutritional supplements, pharmaceuticals, wax coatings, paints, flavorings & fragrances, surfactants, companies which perform analytical testing or environmental sample-testing, custom blending companies which produce detergents, skin care and hair care products, companies which custom produce lubricants,... maybe so many others. Do any of these interest you? Also you would want to decide if you may be more interested in the product-development side, or the production and quality control side. Find out about yourself, and what you can about the work which exists in the kinds of companies that you can. Now, before you graduate with your Chemistry degree, could you find any professor in your department who does any research related to the kinds of products or services which you find interesting? Could such a professor accept you to do some research for/with him?

1. What are the career options after completing an MSc following a chemistry degree?

An MSc in chemistry can open up a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, environmental science, materials science, and more. It can also lead to research and teaching positions in academia.

2. How long does it usually take to complete an MSc following a chemistry degree?

The duration of an MSc program can vary depending on the specific university and program. Typically, it takes 1-2 years to complete a full-time MSc following a chemistry degree.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing an MSc following a chemistry degree?

An MSc degree can provide advanced knowledge and skills in a specific area of chemistry, making you a more competitive candidate for job opportunities. It can also lead to higher salaries and career advancement opportunities.

4. How can I decide which MSc program is right for me?

It is important to research and compare different MSc programs to find the one that aligns with your career goals and interests. Consider factors such as the program's curriculum, faculty, research opportunities, and job placement rates.

5. Do I need to have a specific undergraduate specialization to pursue an MSc in chemistry?

While some MSc programs may require a specific undergraduate degree in chemistry or a related field, others may accept students from various science backgrounds. It is best to check the specific requirements for each program you are interested in.