1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Struggling with Electric force... The Superposition Principle

1. May 13, 2016 #1
    When I'm solving a superposition principle problem i get stuck and so confused with the signs.
    For example this problem

Consider three point charges at the corners of a triangle, as shown at right, where q1 = 6.00 × 10−9 C, q2 = −2.00 × 10−9 C, and q3 = 5.00 × 10−9 C. Find the magnitude and direction of the resultant force on q3.

I know that first i find the magnitude of each force... F3,1 and F3,2. I'm ok with this part
    But then when finding the x and y components of each individual force I get so confused as to what sign I should use!!
    PLEASE HELP

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2016 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The x component is usually horizontal, in which case left is negative and right is positive. The y component is usually vertical, in which case up is positive and down is negative. Draw a diagram that shows the vectors and their components. You should be able to see the directions and assign the +/- signs accordingly.

4. May 13, 2016 #3
    Thank you!! This helped so much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted