Overcoming Lab Challenges in Physics Course

• Thread starter kristina92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, the speaker struggles with lab work and feels inadequate compared to their partner. They are taking a 3-quarter introductory physics course and are currently in the E&M portion. The speaker is worried about working alone in future lab sessions and is considering asking to join another pair. They also have social anxiety when it comes to choosing partners.
kristina92
Hi everyone,

I have trouble with labs in general; it was the hardest part of organic chem for me, but I did get better through bio and the last quarter of physics. Still, my "better" is not great, and I always do better in the lecture section of the class.

I'm taking a 3-quarter introductory physics course this year, and last quarter the lab went fine (I received an A) because my partner was fast enough to work the cmputer and figure out what we were doing, and our TA was very helpful. I write quickly and can easily figure out the concepts and put together reports when I can think clearly and am adquately prepared for the session, but there is only so much preparation I can do beforehand, especially because the TA often changes the directions a bit from the out-dated lab manuals. So basically my partner did most of the experiment and figuring out how to record the data, make the tables/graphs, and I piggy- backed onto her and was faster at figuring out what we were ultimately trying to determine, what the "big picture" of the experiment was, etc.

I'm not confident about this quarter though, and wanted to cry through lab yesterday. My partner knew what she was doing and the lab went well, but again I kind of uselessly stood aside while she did most of the experiment. I don't know why, but even when I read the manual a lot before I come it, it is still so difficult for me to figure out what to do and everyone else does it faster than me and in most of my labs, mmy partner and I have always finished last - because of me. My TA is also less friendly and helpful this quarter, so it's more independent work, which I struggle with because I just feel lost.

The big problem is that everyone was partnered already because they signed up with friends, and this lab only requires partners because of the limited availability of set-ups. We still all do our own individual lab reports, etc. which are due by the end of class and difficult to complete in the allotted time, even with a partner. I only had a partner yesterday because she was making up this lab, but she won't normally be in this lab, so I am the last person left. I'm petrified of being alone for our next lab session, and I don't think that I can handle it by myself because I'm not good at this in general and even for people who are, it takes two people to get everything finished in time. But I dn't want to ask to be a pair of three with someone because I don't want to slow them down, and because there is adequate lab space for me to have my own individual set-up so if I don't work individually, there will be three people to one set-up and a whole set of empty equipment that I was supposed to be using. I also have social anxiety in terms of choosing other people to partner with, and I'm not even sure if my TA would allow me to join another group if asked so that I am not working alone.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I could ask to pair with two other people in a group of three, or how to be better prepared for lab on my own? I hate that lab feels like such a traumatic experience for me, because I know I am intellectually capable of it.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The advice might depend on the particular lab and the equipment you use - and whether you are already familiar with the equipment.

If it's unfamiliar equipment, I suggest partnering with two other people. Just endure the feelings of inadequacy. (Most people don't devote a significant amount of time to thinking about other people's virtues or deficiencies. The spend their time thinking about themselves.)

What class is it? It sounds like it might be E&M, since that's usually the second physics class in most sequences. In that case, most of the equipment is very complicated, so it's normal to feel like that :)

Oh, thank you both for saying that! This is E&M, and it is unfamiliar equipment, so I feel better about reacting the way I did. HOpefully the TA will let me join another pair.

Hi there,

I can understand your struggles with labs and the anxiety you feel about working alone in the upcoming sessions. First of all, I want to assure you that it is completely normal to struggle with labs, and it does not reflect on your intelligence or capabilities. Labs require a different set of skills and can be challenging for many people.

One way to overcome these challenges is to communicate with your TA and express your concerns. They are there to help you and guide you through the lab process. You can also ask for their advice on how to better prepare for the labs and if there are any additional resources or materials that can help you.

Another option could be to reach out to your classmates and see if anyone is willing to partner up with you for the remaining labs. It can be intimidating to ask, but remember that everyone is in the class to learn, and it is okay to ask for help. You can also explain your situation to your TA and ask if it is possible to join another group for the remaining labs.

In terms of being better prepared for labs on your own, I would suggest going through the lab manual thoroughly before the session and try to understand the concepts and procedures beforehand. You can also practice with the equipment and experiment set-up beforehand if possible. Additionally, try to ask your TA or classmates for any tips or tricks they have for completing the lab efficiently.

Remember, it is okay to make mistakes and not be perfect in labs. The most important thing is to learn from them and keep improving. Don't be too hard on yourself, and don't hesitate to seek help when needed. I wish you all the best in your physics course and your future lab work.

Best regards,

1. How can I improve my lab skills in a physics course?

To improve your lab skills in a physics course, it is important to practice and familiarize yourself with the equipment and procedures used in the lab. Take notes during lectures and read the lab manual carefully before each experiment. It is also helpful to work in groups and discuss your findings with others.

2. What should I do if I encounter a difficult lab challenge?

If you encounter a difficult lab challenge, do not panic. Take a step back and analyze the situation. Consult with your lab partners and the instructor for guidance. You can also do additional research or seek help from a tutor to better understand the concepts and overcome the challenge.

3. How can I stay organized in the lab?

Staying organized is key to successfully completing lab experiments. Make sure to read the lab manual before each experiment and gather all necessary materials beforehand. Use a lab notebook to record your observations, data, and any changes to the procedure. Clean up your work area after each experiment to avoid confusion and clutter.

4. How can I effectively communicate my lab findings?

When communicating your lab findings, it is important to be clear and concise. Use proper scientific language and include all relevant data and observations. Graphs and charts can also help to visually represent your results. Make sure to explain any discrepancies or unexpected results and provide possible explanations.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in a physics lab?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a physics lab include not reading the lab manual carefully, not following safety protocols, not properly calibrating equipment, and not recording data accurately. It is also important to avoid rushing through experiments and not seeking help when needed. Always double-check your work and ask questions if something is unclear.