Stuck in assignment due tomorrow(in fact this morning)

In summary, the question is asking to prove that the function f(x,y) is not continuous at (0,0) by finding a sequence (x_n,y_n) that tends to (0,0) but with f(x_n,y_n) not tending to f(0,0)=0. The conversation also includes a discussion about a mistake in the original function and a proof using the method outlined. The final conclusion is that the limit doesn't exist, so the function is not continuous at (0,0).
precondition
I don't know if there's anyone who bother to answer my questions but still let me try..
If function f:R^2-->R is f(x,y)=0 if (x,y)=(0,0) and xy^2/(x^2+y^2) otherwise, then prove that f is not continuous at (0,0)
Supposed to be easy but my brain is dead right now for this..
it's multivariable analysis question by the way(proof has to be rigorous..)
Any reply would be appreciated :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
It's sufficient to find a sequence (x_n,y_n) tending to (0,0) but with f(x_n,y_n) not tending to f(0,0)=0. Consider what the function looks like when one of x or y is very small compared to the other.

Consider what the function looks like when one of x or y is very small compared to the other.

hmm...

Got it!
let (x,y)=(1/n_2,1/n) then (x,y)-->(0,0) but f(x,y)-->infinity! Thanks

umm... I have 6 more to go...
next one, if I'm allowed to ask more than 1 question, is
using same function as above,
Show directional derivative Dv(f)(x,y) exists for all (x,y) in R_2 and for all vector v in R_2. Then Calculate Dv(f)(x,y).
Now, first part I'm not quite sure, second part, can I use the fact that
Dv(f)(x,y)=sum over partial derivatives(with coefficients)

Wait, sorry, I think the original function is continuous. Are you sure you copied the question correctly?

no it's not continuous and I proved it using the method you outlined..??

If that's supposed to be [itex](x_n,y_n)=(1/n^2,1/n)[/itex], then [itex]f(x_n,y_n)=(1/n^4)/(1/n^2+1/n^4)=1/(n^2+1) \rightarrow 0[/itex]. Maybe x,y can be complex, or you need to prove it is continuous?

Last edited:
umm... its (1/n_4)/(1/n_4!+1/n_4)=n_2 giving infinity...
Anyway could you please... answer my next question please... I'm sleepy and I need to finish this off please please please

Hold on man. I can't help you if I don't understand you. What does n_2 mean? If it's [itex]n^2[/itex], check your algebra again (or make sure you copied the function right in the first post).

the symbol _ means subscript. ^ means superscript. and you have a mistake. StatusX is correct when he subs in (n^-2,n^-1), and you are not.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
sorry my bad my bad apology*1000000000000000
I copied down function wrong... it's supposed to be xy^2/(x^2+y^4!)
my mistake sorry !

it's getting very late here and my brain is not functioning well.. sorry about that

suppose [tex]x = ky^2, y \rightarrow 0[/tex]
then we know this: [tex]x \rightarrow 0[/tex] also.
so:
[tex]\lim \frac{xy^2}{x^2+y^4}= \lim \frac{ky^4}{k^2y^4+y^4}=\lim \frac{k}{k^2+1}[/tex]
the limit doesn`t exit, so it`s not continuous at (0,0).

1. How can I complete my assignment if it is due tomorrow and it's already morning?

It is important to prioritize your tasks and focus on the most important aspects of your assignment. Start by breaking down the assignment into smaller, manageable tasks and create a timeline for completing each task. Be sure to also take breaks and stay organized to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

2. What if I don't have enough time to do my assignment due tomorrow morning?

If you are pressed for time, try to delegate some tasks to others, such as asking a friend or family member to proofread your work. You can also consider reaching out to your professor for an extension, explaining your situation and providing a realistic timeline for when you can submit your assignment.

3. How do I stay focused and motivated while completing my assignment due tomorrow?

It can be challenging to stay motivated and focused when working on a tight deadline. One tip is to eliminate distractions, such as turning off your phone or finding a quiet study space. You can also try setting small goals for yourself and rewarding yourself after completing each task.

4. What if I am struggling with understanding the assignment and it's due tomorrow morning?

If you are having trouble understanding the assignment, don't hesitate to reach out to your professor or classmates for clarification. You can also try doing some additional research or seeking help from a tutor.

5. Is it okay to turn in a late assignment due to being stuck and it's due tomorrow?

While it is always best to submit your assignment on time, sometimes unforeseen circumstances can make that difficult. If you are unable to complete your assignment on time, it is important to communicate with your professor and explain the situation. They may be understanding and provide you with an extension or alternative solution.