1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck on an equation involving powers - I only have 1 unknown

1. Apr 11, 2014 #1
    Hi all sorry the title couldn't be more descriptive.

I'm having a bit of a brain block with this equation (it's the very end of a problem).

N([itex]\frac{5}{6}[/itex])[itex]^{N-1}[/itex] > [itex]\frac{27}{5}[/itex]

My line of thought was to get the first N in terms of the power N-1..

How do I find N?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2014 #2
    Analytically you can't.

4. Apr 11, 2014 #3
    Sorry I meant how do I simplify the inequality, ie N > #

5. Apr 11, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What dirk_mec1 said.

However, a comment in the OP raises a question: is the coefficient N the same variable as the exponent N? You seem to imply that they are different.

6. Apr 11, 2014 #5
    Ah I guess I've gone wrong somewhere.

Yes the N's are the same.

7. Apr 11, 2014 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Is ##N## supposed to be an integer?

8. Apr 11, 2014 #7
    It represents the rolls of a dice. I'm going to post the full question over in the physics homework subforum.

9. Apr 11, 2014 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Then it suffices to solve it by trial and error. An easy method is to graph the equation ##y=x\left(\frac{5}{6}\right)^{x-1}## with a calculator. That way the value(s) of ##N## that satisfy the OP will become clear. Once you found a suitable candidate for ##N##, you can rigorously prove that this ##N## is a good candidate by just plugging it in the equation and calculating manually.

There is no way to solve the equation analytically, so you will need to resort to trickery such as the above.

10. Apr 11, 2014 #9
  11. Apr 11, 2014 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, if the problem is truly as given in the above link then the solution will involve even more hassle that what you have now. Why would you think the solution is "easy"? What do you have against plotting graphs or against using numerical methods?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted