Stuck on problem with determinants

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving that det (A) = det (B) + det (C) where A, B, and C are matrices and A(s)(j) = b(s)(j) + c(s)(j) for j = 1, 2, ..., n. The main difficulty lies in proving that a certain function, d(B), satisfies the properties of a determinant function without assuming the expansion formula for a determinant. Various approaches are suggested, including using row operations and elementary matrices. The conversation ends with the hope for further assistance on the problem.
xalvyn
hi all,

have a rather sticky problem on determinants to deal with...hope someone can offer some help.

[In what follows, the numbers in brackets denote suffixes, so that, for example, A(s)(j) refers to the element in the sth row of A and jth column of A.]

Let A be an n x n matrix. Let s be a fixed integer with 1=<s=<n. Suppose that A(s)(j) = b(s)(j) + c(s)(j) for j = 1, 2, ... n. Let B and C be the n x n matrixes defined by B(i)(j) = C(i)(j) = A(i)(j) for j = 1, 2, ..., n, if i is not equal to s; B(s)(j) = b(s)(j), j = 1, 2, ..., n; and C(s)(j) = c(s)(j), j = 1, 2, ..., n. Then prove that det (A) = det (B) + det (C).

First, we let c(s)(1), c(s)(2), ..., c(s)(n) be fixed and let d(B) = det (A) - det (C), where the rows of B, A, and C are the same except for row s; C(s)(j) = c(s)(j), j = 1, 2, ... n; A(s)(j) = B(s)(j) + C(s)(j), j = 1,2 , ...n.
The main difficulty I face is in proving that d(B) satisfies the properties of a determinant function without assuming the expansion formula for a determinant. The properties in question are:

1) If A' is obtained from A by an interchange of two rows of A, then d(A') = -d(A).

2) If A' is obtained from A by multiplying one row of A by a real number p, then d(A') = p d(A).

3) If A' is obtained from A by multiplying one row of A by a number and adding to another row, then d(A') = d(A).

4) d(I) = 1.

That d(B) satisfies these properties is fairly clear if row s is not involved. [for example, to prove d(b) satisfies 1): if we exchange two rows of B, neither of which is row s, this involves an interchanging of two rows of A and two rows of C, giving d(B') = -det(A) + det(C) = -d(B).]

but what if we consider the case when row s is interchanged with another row...?? I can't think of any way other than to expand the determinants of A' and C'! hope someone can help me out here..thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose you row-reduce all the other rows (not s) in the three matrices (A, B, and C) to echelon form using the same sequence of row operations (just sort of ignore the s row as this happens). Notice that the these rows are still equal among the matrices (the i-th row of A is the same as the i-th row of B, etc.). Then do necessary row exchanges to slide the s-th row into k-th row, where k is the column (or one of the columns) that lacks a pivot position. So each matrix now has been left multiplied by some matrix E (made from elementary ones). Then do some "multiplying one row of A by a number and adding to another row" till that special s row has 0's up till the k-th entry. Then consider the diagonal determinants.

And now you can fill in the blanks. Maybe there's a better way to do this problem, but I don't know enough algebra. :smile: Or maybe I do, and I'm just not seeing it...

1. What are determinants and why are they important?

Determinants are mathematical values that represent certain properties of a matrix, such as its size and invertibility. They are important because they can help us solve systems of linear equations, find areas and volumes, and determine whether a matrix has an inverse.

2. How do I calculate determinants?

There are several methods for calculating determinants, such as using cofactor expansion, Gaussian elimination, or the Leibniz formula. The most commonly used method is the cofactor expansion method, which involves breaking down a matrix into smaller matrices and using their determinants to find the overall determinant.

3. What is the significance of a determinant being equal to zero?

A determinant being equal to zero means that the matrix is singular and does not have an inverse. This can be useful in determining if a system of linear equations has a unique solution or not. If the determinant is equal to zero, there may be infinitely many solutions or no solutions at all.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving problems with determinants?

Yes, there are some common properties of determinants that can be used to simplify calculations or solve problems more efficiently. For example, swapping two rows or columns of a determinant does not change its value, and multiplying a row or column by a constant multiplies the determinant by that constant.

5. How can I use determinants in real-world applications?

Determinants have many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to solve systems of equations in order to optimize resources, model physical phenomena, or analyze economic data. They are also used in computer graphics to determine the orientation and scale of objects in a 3D space.