1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Study the continuity of this function

1. Dec 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Study the continuity of the function defined by:
    ## \lim n \to \infty \frac{n^x-n^{-x}}{n^x+n^{-x}}##

3. The attempt at a solution

I've never seen a limit like this before.
    The only thing I have thought of is inserting random values of x to see it the limit exists.
    For instance, in this case, for x=0 I'd have ##\frac{\infty^0-\infty^0}{\infty^0+\infty^0}##

which means the function doesn't exist. but every other value of x, it's okay.
    Or am i supposed to solve the limit? (btw, how can I solve a limit for n to infinity??)
    thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By definition, [itex]n^0 = 1[/itex] for any nonzero [itex]n[/itex], so your fraction reduces to
    [tex]\frac{n^0 - n^0}{n^0 + n^0} = \frac{1 - 1}{1 + 1} = \frac{0}{2} = 0[/tex]
    What does this imly about the limit
    [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{n^0 - n^0}{n^0 + n^0}[/tex]?

4. Dec 28, 2012 #3
    well, I'd say it means the limit exists and it is = 0 (because I can evaluate it before adding the infinities in the equation).
    so the function should continuos on all ##\mathbb{R}##.
    Or actually, how should i work for x→∞?
    sorry if i have so many doubts about a simple question, but i have never seen this kind of limits before

5. Dec 28, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not that hard. You just have to think through all the cases. Suppose x=1. Try and figure it out without just substituting 'infinity' for n. That's not very informative. Just put x=1.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  6. Dec 29, 2012 #5
    ok.
    I see that whatever x i choose (except x=0), I always get a 0 in the nominator and an infinity in the denominator, so appartently f(x)=0. But I'm not sure about that..

7. Dec 29, 2012 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let's take a simple concrete case, say x = 1. Then
    [tex]\frac{n^x - n^{-x}}{n^x + n^{-x}} = \frac{n - 1/n}{n + 1/n} = \frac{1 - 1/n^2}{1 + 1/n^2}[/tex]
    What is the limit of this expression as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex]?

8. Dec 30, 2012 #7
    for x=1 the limit is 1.
    and for x=2 as well, because
    ##\frac{n^2-n^{-2}}{n^2+n^{-2}}##dividing both members by## \frac{1}{n^2} =\frac{1-\frac{1}{n^4}}{1+\frac{1}{n^4}}## and so forth ##\forall x \in \mathbb{R}## except x=0, where f(x)=0.
    Then, can i say it is continuos on all |R except between 0 and 1?

9. Dec 30, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You'd better try some more x values before you state a conclusion. What about x=(1/2) or x=(-1)?

10. Dec 30, 2012 #9
    Ok.
    I've tried several values and found out that if
    ##x>0 \Rightarrow f(x)=1##
    ##x=0 \Rightarrow f(x)=0##
    ##x<0 \Rightarrow \lim f(x)= \frac{\infty}{\infty}## so the function doesn't exist there
    Also, it is discontinuos in 0.

Are my assumptions right?

11. Dec 30, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you show how you reached that conclusion for x<0? Try x=(-1). infinity/infinity doesn't necessarily mean the limit is undefined.

12. Dec 30, 2012 #11
    for x=-1 I get
    ## \frac{1-\frac{1}{n{^-2}}}{1+ \frac{1}{n^{-2}}}##
    ##\frac{1-n^2}{1+n^2}= \frac{\infty}{\infty}##
    If ##\frac{\infty}{\infty}## doesn't mean it's undefined, when can i say the function is discontinuos?

13. Dec 30, 2012 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Divide numerator and denominator by n^2.

14. Dec 30, 2012 #13
    right, i didn't notice it, then for x<0 i get f(x)=-1.
    what can i say if i get ##\frac{\infty}{\infty}##? and when can i say that the function is not continuos, if that's not enough?

15. Dec 30, 2012 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't say anything just from looking at ##\frac{\infty}{\infty}##. A form like that might have a limit and it might not. Ok so f(x)=(-1) for x<0, f(0)=0 and f(x)=1 for x>0. What about continuity?

16. Dec 30, 2012 #15
    well, as the right limit is different from the left one, I'd say 0 is a discontinuity point (the only one in R).
    fortunately, there are no infinity/infinity cases in this function. but if one of these cases happens with a similar limit, should i just leave it? (if algebric manipulation can't help)
    thank you very much for your help, anyway :)

17. Dec 30, 2012 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it's discontinuous only at 0. Leaving a limit as ∞/∞ is about the same thing as saying 'I don't know what the limit is'. If algebra doesn't help you resolve it then there are other tools like l'Hopital.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook