Can IStill Get Hired as a Civil Engineer at 40 with Prior Experience?

In summary: I my mind, the issue is with diminishing returns on the money and effort to earn the degree due to the length of working life that remains. But those are trade-offs for the individual to weigh and make for themselves. But "you're too late" is not in my vocabulary. If my own mother (late 70s) wanted to return to school for an engineering degree, my advice would be to do it. The time to start worrying about diminishing returns is after the degree is earned, not before.Welcome to the PF.
MatureAgeStudent
Hi guys and girls,

So I have a 4 year degree in surveying (Spatial Science) and I'm considering studying for a civil engineering degree.

The maths and physics units already studied result in all but one math unit to complete.

I also get recognition of prior learning for some of my other units.

I have worked alongside civil engineers in high-rise construction, road works, bridges, etc and already work with CAD (Auto CAD - Civil 3D) and use engineering drawings.

I see this degree as the next natural progression if you will.

My question is, what are my employment prospects as a civil engineer in my late 40's (studying a half load with some units offered in summer school)?

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
MatureAgeStudent said:
what are my employment prospects as a civil engineer in my late 40's

In the US, same as they are for any other newly minted civil engineer. Possibly better for jobs requiring a lot of interaction with surveyors.

Likes berkeman
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
MatureAgeStudent said:
The maths and physics units already studied result in all but one math unit to complete.
Sorry, I can't unabiguously parse your sentence. Does this mean that you only have one math class to complete (which one?), or does it mean that you have all but one left to complete?

I agree with V50, I think you should do well in school and do very well in the job market, based on your experience. :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Sorry, I can't unabiguously parse your sentence. Does this mean that you only have one math class to complete (which one?), or does it mean that you have all but one left to complete?

I agree with V50, I think you should do well in school and do very well in the job market, based on your experience. :smile:

I apologize for any ambiguity.

I have recognition of prior learning for the maths and physics units (credit from covering the same subjects in my surveying degree) for 3 of the 4 units (with advanced calculus remaining to be completed), and a credit for a surveying unit.

I have all other units requiring completion (starting in 2020).

Thank you both for your encouragement and feedback.

Likes berkeman
All job markets are local. Most older students have geographical constraints - needing or wanting to find a job near where they already live rather than conducting a nation wide job search. The laws of supply and demand operate on every local job market. If you have geographical constraints and are in an area of high supply or lower demand, then you'll have a harder time. As a newly minted engineer, GPA will matter a lot in a tougher market, as will the reputation of the school that grants the degree. In high demand local markets, those details matter less.

Newly minted engineers who are older with work experience in other fields also tend to have higher salary requirements. This also narrows the field considerably. Finding an $80k job as a newly minted engineer is a lot harder than finding a $50k job.

Dr. Courtney said:
Newly minted engineers who are older with work experience in other fields also tend to have higher salary requirements. This also narrows the field considerably. Finding an $80k job as a newly minted engineer is a lot harder than finding a $50k job.
Vanadium 50 said:
In the US, same as they are for any other newly minted civil engineer. Possibly better for jobs requiring a lot of interaction with surveyors.
It will depend a lot on the specifics of the current and new job. There could be substantial overlap, providing substantial opportunity to start well above entry level or advance very rapidly.

It is an interesting question, though. The OP asked
My question is, what are my employment prospects as a civil engineer in my late 40's
what if instead, it was "late 50's"? How about "late 60's"? Somewhere there is a line, where the encouraging responses would flip over to, "you're too late."

I am not suggesting 40's is too late. But I would advise the OP to get on with it.

Likes CalcNerd
gmax137 said:
It is an interesting question, though. The OP asked

what if instead, it was "late 50's"? How about "late 60's"? Somewhere there is a line, where the encouraging responses would flip over to, "you're too late."

I am not suggesting 40's is too late. But I would advise the OP to get on with it.

I my mind, the issue is with diminishing returns on the money and effort to earn the degree due to the length of working life that remains. But those are trade-offs for the individual to weigh and make for themselves. But "you're too late" is not in my vocabulary. If my own mother (late 70s) wanted to return to school for an engineering degree, my advice would be "go for it" since she'd just be spending my inheritance, keeping herself busy, and being mentally engaged. Return on the investment would not be a concern in that case.

Likes russ_watters and gmax137
I agree with @Dr. Courtney, but to be fair the OP asked about "employment prospects." I think getting hired as a "new engineer" at 70 (or 65, or 60...) would be tough.

1. Can I still get hired as a Civil Engineer at 40 with prior experience?

Yes, it is possible to get hired as a Civil Engineer at 40 with prior experience. Many companies value experience and skills over age, and having prior experience in the field can make you a desirable candidate for the job.

2. Will my age be a disadvantage in the hiring process?

While age discrimination does exist in some industries, it is illegal in the field of engineering. As long as you have the necessary qualifications and skills, your age should not be a disadvantage in the hiring process.

3. Do I need to update my skills and knowledge to be competitive in the job market?

Yes, it is important to continuously update your skills and knowledge to stay competitive in the job market. Technology and industry standards are constantly evolving, so it is important to stay current in order to be a valuable asset to potential employers.

4. Will my previous work experience still be relevant in the current job market?

Yes, your previous work experience will still be relevant in the current job market. The skills and knowledge you gained in your prior experience can be transferable to new projects and technologies, making you a valuable candidate for the job.

5. Are there any age-related challenges I may face as a Civil Engineer at 40?

While there may be some challenges, such as adapting to new technologies or working with younger colleagues, age should not be a significant barrier in your career as a Civil Engineer. Your experience and skills are what matter most in this field.