Searching for a Function with x=Slope of Tangent

In summary, e is a really neat mathematical constant that can be approximated with integers below 1000. The closest rational approximation is 878/323. Leonhard Euler was an interesting man and the great e vs. pi debate is quite funny.
e.mathstudent
Okay, so I am in grade 12 calc and I was learning about e today, how the slope of the tangent at any point is also the y value at that point. What I was wondering is if there is a function that has the x value equal to the slope at any given point. I think it would look something like a parabola.

I tried to plug x in for slope to y=mx+b which results with y+x^2, but that does not have the property I am looking for. I also tried y=x^e, it doesn't work out.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi e.mathstudent! welcome to pf! :smile:
e.mathstudent said:
… I was wondering is if there is a function that has the x value equal to the slope at any given point. I think it would look something like a parabola.

you mean dy/dx = x ?

hint: what is the derivative (the slope) of a polynomial? :wink:

more stuff about e

does f(x)=(x^2)/2 work?
it has a derivative of x, so I am going to try that.

Oh cool, it works. That was a way simpler answer than I expected.

Are there any other cool properties about e or fun things to know?

e.mathstudent said:
Are there any other cool properties about e or fun things to know?

Yes. There's a whooole book about it. I happen to be reading it right now: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691141347/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I like e, perhaps more so than even pi! It's quite easy to calculate the value of e on one's own, as it is the limit as n goes to infinity of (1+1/n)^n

You can plug in large values of n and calculate to whatever degree you'd like.

You can approximate it with a taylor series.

You can use the binomial theorem.

Have a few more things that I"ll share later, but my wife is home. lol

One way of looking at e ( as e^1 ) is this:

Assume you have an account of D dollars at a yearly interest rate of 100% , i.e., your account

doubles every year.

Now, say you can also compound the interest , e.g., instead of getting 100% yearly, you can

get 50% after 6 months, and then compound again by 50% six months after that . Then your

have (1.5)*(1.5)*D =2.25*D dollars, instead of 2*D dollars, by compounding twice. Now, you can

compound your money, not just twice yearly, but 3-, 4- or more times. If you compounded

infinitely-often (in the limit), your money will be multiplied, in the limit, by a factor of e, meaning

you will have e*D dollars at the end of a year by doing this continuous compounding.

In general, if your interest rate is x (as a fraction ) and you compound your account

continuously, your D dollars will be worth e^x dollars at the end of the year.

The great e vs. pi debate (you will learn a bit, and actually quite funny).

In five parts:

Last edited by a moderator:
The closest rational approximation of e using integers below 1000 is 878/323. (Source: Eli Maor's book mentioned above).

Oh, e. Such an awesome constant. Leonhard Euler is one interesting man.

dkotschessaa said:
The great e vs. pi debate (you will learn a bit, and actually quite funny).

In five parts:

Those videos are epic. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of searching for a function with x=slope of tangent?

The purpose of searching for a function with x=slope of tangent is to find a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between a variable and its slope at a specific point on a curve. This can help in understanding the behavior of a function and making predictions about its values at different points.

2. How is the slope of tangent calculated?

The slope of tangent is calculated by taking the derivative of the function at a specific point. This involves finding the limit of the function as the change in x approaches 0. The resulting value is the slope of the tangent line at that point.

3. What is the significance of the slope of tangent?

The slope of tangent represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. This can provide information about the steepness or direction of the curve at that point, as well as the instantaneous rate of change. It is an important concept in calculus and has many real-world applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

4. How do you find a function with x=slope of tangent?

To find a function with x=slope of tangent, you can use the derivative rule to find the general form of the function. Then, you can substitute the desired slope of tangent for the derivative and solve for the constant term. This will give you a specific function that satisfies the given criteria.

5. Can a function have multiple points with the same slope of tangent?

Yes, a function can have multiple points with the same slope of tangent. This is because the slope of tangent depends on the derivative of the function, and a function can have the same derivative at different points. This is known as a critical point and can occur in functions with multiple local extrema.