Adding f(x) and g(x): Domain and Output

In summary, f(x) = square root of x and g(x) = x + 1. The function f+g(x) is equal to the square root of x plus x plus 1. The domain of f+g(x) is all real numbers greater than or equal to 0. The function f(g(x)) is equal to the square root of x plus 1 and the domain of f(g(x)) is all real numbers where x+1 is greater than or equal to 0.
Caldus
If f(x) = square root of x and g(x) = x + 1, then:

1. What is f+g(x)?
2. Domain of f+g(x)?
3. What is f(g(x))?
4. What is the domain of f(g(x))?

I put:

1. square root of x + x + 1
2. x >= 0
3. square root of x + 1
4. All real numbers?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Number 4 depends on whether you "allow" complex numbers or not...

Originally posted by Caldus
1. square root of x + x + 1

Just to make sure, do you mean
sqrt(x) + x+1
or
sqrt(x+x+1)
??

2. x >= 0

OK (as long as you are only talking about reals)

3. square root of x + 1

Again, use parentheses.

4. All real numbers?

Nope. Example: x = -3.

In #2 you had already asserted that the domain of g+h (x)= √(x)+ x+1 is x>= 0 so you are talking about real valued functions of a real value (you can't take the square root of a negative number).

In #4, then, f(g(x))= &radic(x+1), you must have x+1>= 0.

Ug I hate it when I make mistakes like this! I knew how to do it and then when I'm under pressure I mess up everytime! Ack. So frustrating...lol... Oh well, just a quiz grade. Maybe I can make it up somehow...lol...

What is the formula for adding f(x) and g(x)?

The formula for adding f(x) and g(x) is (f+g)(x) = f(x) + g(x).

What is the domain when adding f(x) and g(x)?

The domain when adding f(x) and g(x) is the intersection of the domains of f(x) and g(x). This means that the input values, or x-values, must be valid for both functions in order for the sum to be defined.

What is the output when adding f(x) and g(x)?

The output when adding f(x) and g(x) is the sum of the outputs, or y-values, of the two functions. This means that for each input value, the corresponding output value for f(x) and g(x) are added together to get the overall output.

Can the sum of f(x) and g(x) be simplified?

Yes, the sum of f(x) and g(x) can be simplified by combining like terms. This means that if the two functions have terms with the same variable and exponent, they can be added together to simplify the overall sum.

What happens if the domains of f(x) and g(x) do not intersect?

If the domains of f(x) and g(x) do not intersect, then the sum of the two functions is undefined. This is because there are input values that are valid for one function but not the other, so there would be no output value for those inputs when adding the two functions together.