Stupid question, dealing with algebra and fractions.

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling to understand a transition between two equations in a math problem involving ODEs and linear algebra. The student is seeking help with the algebraic manipulation of the equations and is embarrassed to have to ask for clarification.
Ryumast3r
Like the title says... I should be way past this (in ODEs+Lin. Algebra). I'm just really tired, have a final tomorrow, and cannot for the life of me understand why this works out the way it does.

Here goes (and please show most steps, it'd be greatly appreciated, thanks):

Start out with:

dP/dt = - (P-5)*(P-2)

Separate dP/dT since the whole point of this is to later integrate and solve an IVP, I get all that, just don't get the transition between this :

dP/((P-5)*(P-2)) = -dt and this next part here:

(dP/3)*(1/(P-5) - 1/(P-2)) = -dt

I know it's some fractions thing all from algebra that I should know, like I said, just cannot for the life of me figure it out, I get the whole "pull dP out" thing, it's where the 3 came from that I'm having trouble with. Tried to backsolve but I think there's just some identity I'm forgetting.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ryumast3r said:
Like the title says... I should be way past this (in ODEs+Lin. Algebra). I'm just really tired, have a final tomorrow, and cannot for the life of me understand why this works out the way it does.

Here goes (and please show most steps, it'd be greatly appreciated, thanks):

Start out with:

dP/dt = - (P-5)*(P-2)

Separate dP/dT since the whole point of this is to later integrate and solve an IVP, I get all that, just don't get the transition between this :

dP/((P-5)*(P-2)) = -dt and this next part here:

(dP/3)*(1/(P-5) - 1/(P-2)) = -dt

I know it's some fractions thing all from algebra that I should know, like I said, just cannot for the life of me figure it out, I get the whole "pull dP out" thing, it's where the 3 came from that I'm having trouble with. Tried to backsolve but I think there's just some identity I'm forgetting.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Hey there Ryumast3r and welcome to the forums.

Essentially what you are trying to do is turn 1/[(P-2) x (P-5)] into A/(P-2) + B/(P-5). You set both equal and do some algebra and you'll find that the P's cancel and you'll get numbers for A and B.

Right, thank you. :)

Sorry for the dumb question, I'm just so burnt out. :P

(also kinda embarrassed I had to ask that since I've gone through calc. :P)

Ryumast3r said:
Right, thank you. :)

Sorry for the dumb question, I'm just so burnt out. :P

(also kinda embarrassed I had to ask that since I've gone through calc. :P)

Dude don't stress, we all make simple mistakes. Its better to clarify things than to not clarify things and get more things wrong.

Yeah, thanks again.

^Lol, the reason it's "dumb" is because it's a fundamental part of the class I'm in and I totally forgot it. :P

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of mathematical symbols and the rules for manipulating these symbols to solve equations and represent relationships between quantities.

2. Why do we use letters in algebra?

Letters are used in algebra to represent unknown quantities or variables. This allows us to create general equations and solve for different values, making algebra a powerful tool for problem-solving.

3. What are fractions?

Fractions are numerical expressions that represent a part of a whole. They are written in the form of a numerator (the top number) over a denominator (the bottom number) and can be used to represent numbers that are not whole numbers.

4. Why are fractions important in algebra?

Fractions are important in algebra because they allow us to represent and manipulate numbers that are not whole numbers. This is useful in solving equations and working with real-life problems that involve parts of a whole.

5. How do I simplify fractions in algebra?

To simplify a fraction in algebra, you can divide both the numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor. This will reduce the fraction to its simplest form. You can also use rules like cross-multiplication and finding common denominators to simplify fractions in more complex algebraic expressions.