Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SU(3)xU(1) breaking exercise?

1. Aug 11, 2008 #1

arivero

Gold Member

Can anyone provide a pointer to the exercise of higgs breaking SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) down to SU(2)? I expect it to be solved somewhere in the web...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2008 #2
    It should be pretty easy. What is it, exactly, that you're interested in?

4. Aug 11, 2008 #3

arivero

Gold Member

First, to check I am guessing it right. The Higgs content, etc. And what happens with U(1): do we forcefully get the nonchiral U(1) of electromagnetism, or does it depend of the breaking?

As you say, it is easy and one could expect to find it in some web of solved QFT exercises.

My long shot is to relate the breakings with the compactifications of extra Kaluza Klein dimensions. I would expect Standard Model ---> SU(2) to correspond with a compactification from dimension 10 or 11 to dimension 6.

5. Aug 11, 2008 #4
    Well, you don't necessarily have to get U(1) EM, because that is a very specific linear combination that survives.

Well, it depends on what you're compactifying on. You can't break gauge symmetries if you compactify on a circle---you have to compactify on an orbifold. Then you have to figure out where the gauge bosons live, and how to assign them boundary conditions.

6. Aug 11, 2008 #5
    We'll just have to work it out, I doubt that you'd find it online anywhere. It seems like a non-standard textbook exercize.

7. Aug 12, 2008 #6
    Hello,

don't you have similar example from dynamical breaking of chiral QCD ?

8. Aug 12, 2008 #7

arivero

Gold Member

Hmm, but there is not Higgs field involved there, is there? In any case I will check Donoghue et al. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?