Subdividing an integral into a sum of integrals over a given interval

In summary, the problem is that you have used the same notation for the points on the RHS of the two integrals, and this is not allowed. You should use different notation for the points on the RHS of the two integrals.
"Don't panic!"
How does one prove the following:
[tex] \int^{c}_{a} f\left(x\right)dx = \int^{b}_{a} f\left(x\right)dx +\int^{c}_{b} f\left(x\right)dx [/tex]
where [itex] f\left(x\right)[/itex] is continuous in the interval [itex] x\in \left[a, b\right][/itex], and differentiable on [itex] x\in \left(a, b\right)[/itex].

My approach was the following:

Given that [itex] \int^{b}_{a} f\left(x\right)dx = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\left(b-a\right)}{n} \sum^{n}_{i=1} f\left(x^{\ast}_{i}\right) [/itex], where [itex] x^{\ast}_{i} \in\left[x_{i},x_{i+1}\right] [/itex], we have that
[tex] \int^{b}_{a} f\left(x\right)dx +\int^{c}_{b} f\left(x\right)dx = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\left(b-a\right)}{n} \sum^{n}_{i=1} f\left(x^{\ast}_{i}\right) + \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\left(c-b\right)}{n} \sum^{n}_{i=1} f\left(x^{\ast}_{i}\right) [/tex]
[tex]\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\quad= \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \left[\frac{\left(b-a\right)}{n} \sum^{n}_{i=1} f\left(x^{\ast}_{i}\right)+\frac{\left(c-b\right)}{n} \sum^{n}_{i=1} f\left(x^{\ast}_{i}\right)\right] = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n}\left[\left(b-a\right) +\left(c-b\right) \right]\sum^{n}_{i=1} f\left(x^{\ast}_{i}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\quad= \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\left(c-a\right)}{n} \sum^{n}_{i=1} f\left(x^{\ast}_{i}\right) = \int^{c}_{a} f\left(x\right)dx[/tex]

However, I have a feeling that this isn't quite correct?!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have made a notational error:

"Don't panic!" said:
[tex] \int^{b}_{a} f\left(x\right)dx +\int^{c}_{b} f\left(x\right)dx = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\left(b-a\right)}{n} \sum^{n}_{i=1} f\left(x^{\ast}_{i}\right) + \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\left(c-b\right)}{n} \sum^{n}_{i=1} f\left(x^{\ast}_{i}\right) [/tex]

You have said

[tex]\int_a^b f(x)dx = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{b-a}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n f(x^*_i)[/tex]

which is fine. But then you also do

[tex]\int_b^c f(x)dx = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{c-b}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n f(x^*_i)[/tex]

However, this is wrong. You cannot use the same notation ##x^*_i## in both equations. Indeed, the x_i^* of the integral ##\int_a^bf(x)dx## are not the same ##x_i^*## of the other integral. So you need to denote it as something else such as

[tex]\int_b^c f(x)dx = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{c-b}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n f(y^*_i)[/tex]

Also, your points ##x_i^*## should be depending on ##n##, since if ##n## changes, then so do these points. So you should probably call them ##x_{i,n}^*##.

Ah ok, thanks for pointing that out. How should I proceed with the proof from that point then?

What you can do is choose a refinement of every partition of [a, c] by adding the point "b". Then you can separate the sum from a to b and the sum from b to c.

Ah ok, so I should start with [itex]\int_{a}^{c} f\left(x\right) dx = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\left(c-a\right)}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n} f\left(x_{i,n}^{\ast}\right) [/itex], and then redefine the point [itex] x_{i,n}^{\ast}[/itex] by adding the point "b", such that I can split the sum up on the RHS? (i.e. choose a set of points, [itex] x_{i,n}^{\ast} \in\left[ x_{i},x_{i+1} \right][/itex] in the interval [itex] x\in \left[a,b\right] [/itex], and then another one, [itex] y_{j,n}^{\ast} \in\left[ y_{j},y_{j+1} \right][/itex] in the interval [itex] x\in \left[b,c\right] [/itex])

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of subdividing an integral into a sum of integrals?

Subdividing an integral into a sum of integrals allows us to break down a complex integral into simpler, more manageable parts. This can make it easier to solve and may also provide more insight into the function being integrated.

2. How do you determine the limits of the individual integrals when subdividing an integral?

The limits of the individual integrals can be determined by considering the points of discontinuity and critical points of the function being integrated over the given interval. These points will serve as the boundaries for each of the smaller integrals.

3. Can any integral be subdivided into a sum of integrals?

Yes, any integral can be subdivided into a sum of integrals. However, the integrals may not always be solvable in closed form, and the number of integrals needed may vary depending on the complexity of the original integral.

4. What is the benefit of using this method to evaluate integrals?

Subdividing an integral into a sum of integrals can make it easier to evaluate complex integrals, as it allows us to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. It can also provide more insight into the behavior of the function being integrated.

5. Are there any limitations to subdividing an integral into a sum of integrals?

One limitation is that the individual integrals may not always be solvable in closed form, which means we may have to resort to numerical methods to approximate the solution. Additionally, the process of subdividing the integral may become more complex if the function being integrated is highly irregular or has a large number of discontinuities.