1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subdivisions/Refinement Proof

1. Feb 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose f is a function bounded on [a,b], A=GLB(S u,f), and B=LUB(S W,f).

2. Relevant equations

1. For each e>0, there is a subdivision D={Xi}of [a,b] such that |U f,D - W f,D|<e
    2. There is a number Q such that if e>0, then there is a subdivision D of [a,b] such that if K={Yi}is a refinement of D, then |U f,K - Q|<e and |W f,K - Q|<e.

U=upper sums
    W=lower sums

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm supposed to show that 1 implies 2 and 2 implies 1. Trying to do 1 implies 2 confuses the hell out of me, but if I do 2 implies 1 isnt that just doing a triangle inequality and account for the number Q?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2013 #2
    Your notation is not very clear here. What is S? Is this for the Riemann-stieltjes integral, and S is the monotonically increasing function of integration? In your question the S doesn't seem to come into play, so it's not too big a deal..

For 1 implies 2, do you have the theorem that if P is a refinement of D then L(D,f)<L(P,f)<U(P,f)<U(D,f)? (where < is supposed to be less than or equal too but I'm lazy on my ipad).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted