What is the defining property of a subgroup in group G with elements A^g?

In summary, to show that Ag is a subgroup of G, we use the one step subgroup test and show that ab-1 is in the group whenever a and b are in the group. We can write the elements of Ag in the correct form as a^g = g^{-1}ag, and then show that a^g(b^g)^{-1} can also be written as g^{-1}(ab^{-1})g. This is done by using the property of inverses in the group and simplifying the expression. Therefore, Ag is a subgroup of G.
roam

Homework Statement

Let G be a group and let [tex]A \leq G[/tex] be a subgroup. If [tex]g \in G[/tex], then [tex]A^g \subseteq G[/tex] is defined as

[tex]A^g = \{ a^g | a \in A \}[/tex] where [tex]a^g = g^{-1}ag \in G[/tex]

Show that Ag is a subgroup of G.

The Attempt at a Solution

I will use the one step subgroup test. First I have to identify the property that distinguishes the elements of Ag (a defining condition). I don't see what's the binary operation so I can't tell what this property is... :confused:

If I knew this property, I would prove that the identity has this property, so that Ag is nonempty. Then I'd use the assumption that a and b have that property to show that ab-1 has this property. Could anyone help me out to see what the property of this group is?

P.S. I think the identity for this group is "1", right?

Physics news on Phys.org

isn't it given by: [itex]a^g = g^{-1}ag \in G[/itex]?

then from memory you need to show:
- the identity is part of the subgroup
- its closed under multiplication, ie if u & v are both in, then so is uv
- the inverse of any element is also part of subgroup

these whould all follow pretty straight forwarly from the group definition, remembering that A is a subgroup itself

lanedance said:
isn't it given by: [itex]a^g = g^{-1}ag \in G[/itex]?

then from memory you need to show:
- the identity is part of the subgroup
- its closed under multiplication, ie if u & v are both in, then so is uv
- the inverse of any element is also part of subgroup

these whould all follow pretty straight forwarly from the group definition, remembering that A is a subgroup itself

I want to use the "one step subgroup test". For this test I don't have to check closure. I only need to check that ab-1 is in the group whenever a and b are in the group.

To show that identity is in the group is it sufficient to show that g-11g=1? This verifies that Ag in nonempty.

Suppose a=g-1ag and b=g-1bg are elements in Ag who satisfy the property.

b-1 = gbg-1

ab-1 = g-1ag . gbg-1

What can I do next? :rolleyes:

roam said:
I want to use the "one step subgroup test". For this test I don't have to check closure. I only need to check that ab-1 is in the group whenever a and b are in the group.

To show that identity is in the group is it sufficient to show that g-11g=1? This verifies that Ag in nonempty.

Suppose a=g-1ag and b=g-1bg are elements in Ag who satisfy the property.

b-1 = gbg-1
No, this is wrong. You can show that [itex](gbg^{-1})^{-1}= gb^{-1}g^{-1}[/itex] directly from the definition of "inverse".

ab-1 = g-1ag . gbg-1

What can I do next? :rolleyes:

I made some mistakes, so I will start over.

We write two elements of Ag in the correct form (correct form here being [tex]a^g = g^{-1}ag[/tex]):

ag and bg

Then I must show that [tex]a^g(b^g)^{-1}[/tex] also has the correct form; that is it can be written as [tex]g^{-1}(ab^{-1})g[/tex]. I start here:

[tex]a^{g}(b^{g})^{-1} = (g^{-1}ag)(gb^{-1}g^{-1})[/tex]

But how does one simplify [tex](g^{-1}ag)(gb^{-1}g^{-1})[/tex] to get [tex]g^{-1}(ab^{-1})g[/tex]? This is where I'm stuck...

why do you assume [itex](b^{g})^{-1} = (gb^{-1}g^{-1})[/itex] ?

cos its not... try multiplying with [itex]b^{g}[/itex]

lanedance said:
why do you assume [itex](b^{g})^{-1} = (gb^{-1}g^{-1})[/itex] ?

Because [tex]b^g = g^{-1} b g[/tex]

therefore [tex](b^g)^{-1}= (g^{-1} b g)^{-1} = g b^{-1} g^{-1}[/tex]

cos its not... try multiplying with [tex]b^{g}[/tex]

could you show me? because I don't understand what you mean here...

just remember you need to switch orders when you invert (ab)-1 = b-1 a-1.

qbert said:
just remember you need to switch orders when you invert (ab)-1 = b-1 a-1.

or just start with b^g and just see what you would have to multiply it by to get the identity

1. What is a subgroup in math?

A subgroup is a subset of a larger mathematical group that retains the same algebraic structure and operations as the original group.

2. How do you determine if a set is a subgroup?

To determine if a set is a subgroup, you must check two properties: closure and inverses. The set must be closed under the operation of the original group, and each element in the set must have an inverse also in the set.

3. What are the properties of a subgroup?

A subgroup must have the same identity element as the original group, be closed under the operation of the original group, and contain the inverse of each of its elements.

4. Can a subgroup have a different order than the original group?

Yes, a subgroup can have a different order than the original group. The order of a subgroup is the number of elements in the subgroup, and it can be a factor of the order of the original group.

5. How can knowing subgroup properties help in solving math problems?

Knowing subgroup properties can help in solving math problems by simplifying complex operations and providing a structured approach to solving problems. Subgroups also have unique properties that can be used to prove theorems and solve equations.