Submarine/Underwater ROV Engineering

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Instanced
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, a Mechanical Engineer wants to change their focus to underwater ROV's or submarine design, but doesn't know where to start. They have been researching heavily and are interested in potentially designing their own underwater habitat. They are looking for recommendations on classes, books, and potential job opportunities. Another engineer suggests joining a forum, specifically www.rovworld.com, for more information. They also provide information on the different classes of ROVs and the major manufacturers in the world.
Instanced
Hello fellow/prospecting engineers. I'm a Mechanical Engineer, new to this forum, who wants to change focus from aerospace engineering to underwater ROV's or submarine design... and I have no idea where to start. I'm just trying to reach out to anyone currently in those fields to recommend classes or books or something... maybe a job? ;) I've been researching heavily in submarines, ROV's, water depth pressures, sustainability, etc etc because eventually I'd like to build my own... Potentially design my own. I'd love to help the guy who's making the underwater habitat's... the concept of Atlantis blows me away.
Any info is helpful "Knowledge is power... when you know how to use it".
Hope there's a couple engineers here I can talk to in this field.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your best bet is to join a forum focused on this subject. I can suggest www.rovworld.com. This is one of the best and most widely-used forum's on this subject - globally.

If you've been researching this subject, you already know that there are several classes of ROVs in use. The two main groups are really inspection class (flying "eyeballs") that simply provide a set of eyes for operators to view equipment subsea, and work-class. Work class ROVs are far more complex and can perform a very wide range of tasks in ultra deep water. They include very capable and dexterous manipulators (robotic arms).

There are three major work-class ROV manufacturers in the world (see below). There a fair number more that design and build smaller inspection class vehicles.

Schilling Robotics (www.schilling.com) - only US-based manufacturer and considered the most advanced

Perry Slingsby Systems (www.perryslingsbysystems.com[/URL]) - UK-based with support office in Houston

Soil Machine Dynamics ([url]www.smd.co.uk[/url]) - UK-based

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the information! I'm definitely more interested in the "work-class" ROV's... I definitely played with armatron when I was a kid.
armatron8.JPG

Hell ya!

1. What is an ROV and how does it work?

An ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle) is a type of underwater robot that is controlled by a human operator from the surface. It is connected to the surface by a tether and uses thrusters for propulsion and a variety of sensors and cameras for navigation and data collection.

2. What are the main components of a submarine/underwater ROV?

The main components of an ROV include the frame, thrusters, power supply, control system, sensors and cameras, and the tether which connects it to the surface. Additional components may include manipulator arms, lights, and other specialized equipment depending on the specific purpose of the ROV.

3. How is the design of an ROV determined?

The design of an ROV is determined by its intended use and the environmental conditions it will operate in. Factors such as depth, water temperature, pressure, and the type of tasks it will perform will all affect the design. Engineers also consider factors such as buoyancy, stability, and maneuverability when designing an ROV.

4. What are the challenges of engineering an ROV for deep sea exploration?

Engineering an ROV for deep sea exploration presents several challenges, including overcoming high water pressure, designing for extreme temperatures, and ensuring reliable communication and data transmission over long distances. The design must also consider the effects of corrosive seawater and the potential for encountering unknown and unpredictable environments in the deep sea.

5. How are ROVs used in scientific research and exploration?

ROVs are used in a variety of scientific research and exploration missions, including marine biology, oceanography, and geology. They can be equipped with specialized sensors and cameras to collect data and imagery in remote and extreme environments. ROVs are also used for underwater inspections and maintenance tasks such as oil and gas pipeline inspections or shipwreck exploration.