1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subsequence converging

1. Apr 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the sequence [tex]\left\{ x_{n} \right\}[/tex].

Then [tex] x_{n}[/tex] is convergent and [tex]\lim x_{n}=a[/tex] if and only if, for every non-trivial convergent subsequence, [tex]x_{n_{i}}[/tex], of [tex]x_{n}[/tex], [tex]\lim x_{n_{i}}=a[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    The definition of the limit of a series:
    [tex]\lim {x_{n}} = a \Leftrightarrow [/tex] for every [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex], there exists [tex] N \in \mathbb{N}[/tex] such that for every [tex]n>N[/tex], [tex]\left| x_{n} - a \right| < \epsilon[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so I easily see how to show that it [tex]\lim {x_{n}} = a [/tex], then every convergent subsequence must also converge to [tex]a[/tex].
    But I'm stuck on how to show the other way.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would say, well isn't a_n a subsequence of itself? But you also said 'non-trivial'. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but can't you split a_n into two 'non-trivial' subsequences, which then converge, but when put together make all of a_n?

4. Apr 26, 2008 #3
    Yeah, I asked my prof about this one. To him, apparently "non-trivial" just means that the subsequence is not equal to the original sequence. I don't think it actually has any bearing on the problem.

The trick, he said, is that you have to consider every non-trivial (convergent) subsequence.

I'm not sure I know what that means.

5. Apr 26, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, then suppose a_n has two convergent subsequences with different limits. Then does a_n have a limit?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?