Subset Span Proof: Proving W is a Subspace of V with Span(W) = W

In summary, a subset W of vector space V is a subspace of V if and only if the span of W is equal to W. This means that W is closed under combining (adding up) two elements of itself if and only if it is closed under combining a finite number of elements of itself. One direction of implication is straightforward - if W is a subspace, then it is closed under combining any number of its elements. To show the other direction, we need to prove that if W is closed under combining two elements, then it is also closed under combining a finite number of elements. This can be done by showing that the span of W, which is the set of all finite combinations of elements of W, is equal to
zmdeez
show that a subset W of vector space V is a subspace of V iff span(W)=W

Can anyone help guide me along in this proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which of the directions of implication can you show, if any? The result follows from the definitions of all the words involved directly.

i have sketched a couple ideas but i don't think they are legit...so i guess i can't show either direction, I am sure one is far simpler than the other i just can't get a good start

What is (your) definition of a vector subspace? Mine is that W is a subspace if W is a subset of V and for all x and y in W and s and t in R (or whatever the underlying field is, perhaps C) the sx+ty is in W and 0 is in W. (note this is redundant by settinf s=t=0)
What is the span of a subset? iti s the set of all combinations

[tex]t_1x_1+\ldots t_nx_n[/tex]

for t_i in R (or the underlying field) and x_i in W
so W=span(W) means exactly that all finite combinations of elements of W are in W.

so we are trying to show that

W closed under combining (adding up) two elements of itself if and only if W is closed under combining a finite number of elements of itself.

Obvioulsy one way is simple: if i can add up any number of combinations of elements then i can in particular add up two of them. Conversely...?

Related to Subset Span Proof: Proving W is a Subspace of V with Span(W) = W

What is a subset span proof?

A subset span proof is a mathematical proof that shows how a subset of a given set can be expressed as a linear combination of the elements of a spanning set. It is commonly used in linear algebra and other branches of mathematics.

Why is a subset span proof important?

A subset span proof is important because it allows us to understand and describe the relationships between different sets of elements. It also helps us to solve problems and make predictions in various fields of study, such as economics, physics, and computer science.

How do you construct a subset span proof?

To construct a subset span proof, you first need to identify the given set, the spanning set, and the subset that you want to prove can be spanned by the spanning set. Then, you need to express the elements of the subset as linear combinations of the spanning set. Finally, you need to show that these linear combinations are equal to the elements in the subset, thus proving that the subset can be spanned by the spanning set.

What are some common applications of subset span proofs?

Subset span proofs have many practical applications, such as in data compression, signal processing, and machine learning. They are also used in various engineering fields, such as electrical engineering and control systems, to model and analyze complex systems.

What are some tips for successfully completing a subset span proof?

Some tips for successfully completing a subset span proof include understanding the properties and definitions of the given sets, being comfortable with algebraic manipulation, and practicing with different examples. It is also helpful to break down the proof into smaller steps and to double-check your work to ensure accuracy.