1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Substituting functions in limits

1. Dec 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying hard to understand as my professor hasn't taught(nor does my textbook) on how this works.

It is known that $$\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{f(x)}{x} = -\frac12$$

Solve
    $$\lim_{x \to 1}\frac{f(x^3-1)}{x-1}.$$

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    OK.. so I do this:
    $$\begin{align}\lim_{x \to 1}\frac{f(x^3-1)}{x-1} &= \lim_{x \to 1}\frac{f(x^3-1)}{x-1}\cdot\frac{x^2+x+1}{x^2+x+1} \\ &= \lim_{x\to 1}\frac{f(x^3-1)}{x^3-1}(x^2+x+1) \\ &= \lim_{x\to 1}\frac{f(x^3-1)}{x^3-1}\lim_{x\to 1}(x^2+x+1) \\ &= \lim_{u\to 0}\frac{f(u)}{u}(3) \end{align}$$
    $$(3)(-1/2)$$

Now my question is... why is it that $$lim_{u \to 0}\frac{f(u)}{u} = \lim_{x \to 0}\frac{f(x)}{x} = -\frac12 $$

I thought that the limit changes when you substitute variables??? So when we substitute ##u = x^3 -1## the limit becomes u approaches 0 as when you substitute x=1 in to the above, you get u = 0. Am I wrong on this??

Note that the answer is -3/2.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

You may name the variable whatever you like:
    Whether it's ##\lim_{u \to 0}\frac{f(u)}{u}\;## or ##\; \lim_{\text{ tree} \to 0}\frac{f(\text{tree})}{\text{tree}}\;## or ##\;\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{f(x)}{x}##

Or wasn't that the question and it's about the previous steps?

4. Dec 12, 2016 #3
    I was asking why is it that lim u-> 0 f(u)/u = lim x -> 0 f(x)/x in the last step of the solution.

5. Dec 12, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

It is simply the same, identical. First, ##u## is simply an abbreviation of ##x^3-1##. But then we forget about the origin of ##u##, because it doesn't matter anymore. Once we have it, we can concentrate on the expression ##\lim_{u \to 0}\frac{f(u)}{u}## and we are free to rename it.
    If it feels better for you, then how about changing the given condition for ##f## to ##\lim_{v \to 0}\frac{f(v)}{v}=-\frac{1}{2}## and substitute another time ##v=u## at the end of the proof?

6. Dec 12, 2016 #5
    If it is the same, then that's enough for me to know. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted