Substitution Polymers: Research, Explanation and Help Needed

In summary, the speaker is a student who has been assigned the topic of Substitution Polymers for a presentation in their Chemistry class. They have been struggling to find information online about this topic and are unsure if it even exists. They are seeking clarification and guidance on how to approach their presentation. They have been doing some research and are considering the possibility that substitution and condensation polymers may be the same thing. They plan to speak to their teacher for confirmation.
DanteSinger
Hello, everyone. So, this is my first time doing Chemistry at school and today my teacher assigned each student a topic in Chemistry to research and give a short presentation on it on Monday. He assigned me the topic of, Substitution Polymers. So, tonight I thought I might do some research on it. I searched online but...haha...nothing came up. All I keep getting is Addition and Condensation Polymers. So I am confused and a little scared now...what am I to do on Monday, because he has never taught these topics before.
Is there such a thing as Substitution Polymers? If there is, can someone explain this to me or give me a link to a site that can, so I can at least have something to show on Monday?
I am not ask you to do my presentation for me, haha. I just need some information, please.
Thank you in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Maybe I am having a hazy moment - I am struggling to see all that clearcut a distinction between substitution and condensation.

Wiki says "Many condensation reactions are nucleophilic acyl substitutions. Carboxylic acids react with chlorine donors such as thionyl chloride or phosphorus trichloride to acid chlorides, with alcohols to esters in esterfication and carboxylic acids selfcondense to acid anhydrides. " and "Many condensation reactions follow a nucleophilic acyl substitution ".

However typically in condensation reactions a product is water and in substitution reactions Ha-.

A bit almost chemists' slang? - let them put me right if I mislead you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly(p-phenylene_vinylene) could start to give you some ideas.

There seems scope for an essay or talk setting out a few chemical principles and examples, and the interesting and quite current applications and physical properties with as far as possible some physical rationale of the properties limited to a couple of important examples (should be manageable, you are not asked to write an encyclopaedia) .

Another starter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conducting_polymers

Last edited:
Hello, sorry for the late reply. I was doing some research and reading the links you gave me. I'm thinking that condensation and substitution polymers may very well be the same thing, as well. I will approach my teacher tomorrow and ask him just in case.
Thanks for your help.

1. What are substitution polymers?

Substitution polymers are a type of polymer that is formed through the replacement of hydrogen atoms with other atoms or groups of atoms. This substitution can result in a variety of unique properties and uses for the polymer.

2. How are substitution polymers researched?

Substitution polymers are researched through a variety of methods, including laboratory experiments, computer simulations, and theoretical calculations. Scientists also study the properties and behaviors of existing substitution polymers to gain a better understanding of their structure and function.

3. Can you explain the process of polymer substitution?

Polymer substitution involves the replacement of hydrogen atoms in a polymer chain with other atoms or groups of atoms. This can be done through a chemical reaction, such as a substitution reaction, or through physical methods, such as irradiation or thermal treatment.

4. What are the potential applications of substitution polymers?

Substitution polymers have a wide range of potential applications, including in the production of plastics, adhesives, coatings, and fibers. They can also be used in biomedical applications, such as drug delivery systems and tissue engineering.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations in using substitution polymers?

Yes, there can be challenges and limitations in using substitution polymers. For example, the substitution process can be complex and difficult to control, resulting in variations in the properties of the polymer. Additionally, some substitution groups may not be stable under certain conditions, which can affect the performance of the polymer.