Is the Substitution Rule Applicable to Complex Numbers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of choosing the correct substitution when solving integrals, particularly in the complex sense. The example of using u(t) = sin t + 3i instead of u(t) = sin t is given, and it is emphasized that the substitution must be a function from R to R to avoid poles in the complex plane. It is also mentioned that the first justification for this could be complex line integrals and their fundamental theorem of calculus analogue.
pwsnafu
Science Advisor
I was reading J. J. Koliha's book on analysis and came across this
It is important to bear in mind that the substitution operates from R to R; the temptation to substitute u(t) = sin t + 3i in [tex]\int_0^{\pi/2}(\sin t + 3i)^{-2} \cos t \, dt[/tex] must be resisted. The right substitution is u(t) = sin t.

Do you agree?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. It's intuitively obvious to me that the answer should be 'No'. The first justification I could think of was complex line integrals and how a fundamental theorem of calculus analogue for them can be proved easily.

The substitution would certainly be effective in solving the integral.

If you make the substitution u=sint, then du=cost dx, so 1/(cost) du = dx

Therefore the integral simplifies to integrating (u+3i)^(-2) du.

Pay close attention to the quoted text. A substitution like that is indeed is only valid when your substitution is a function from ## \mathbb{R} ## to ##\mathbb{R}##.

In the complex sense, you have to be sure your substitution avoids poles (singularities) in the complex plane. For the real ##t##, ##\mathrm{sin}(t)## is never zero. That's probably not the case if ##t## were complex.

What is the substitution rule?

The substitution rule, also known as u-substitution, is a method used in calculus to evaluate indefinite integrals. It involves substituting a complex expression in the integrand with a simpler variable, making it easier to integrate.

Why is the substitution rule useful?

The substitution rule allows us to solve more complex integrals that may not be easily evaluated using other methods. It also helps us to simplify integrals and make them more manageable.

How do I use the substitution rule?

To use the substitution rule, follow these steps:

1. Identify a complex expression in the integrand that can be replaced with a simpler variable.
  2. Choose an appropriate substitution, often denoted as u, to replace the complex expression.
  3. Calculate the derivative of the substituted variable, du.
  4. Replace the complex expression and its differential with the substituted variable and du in the integral.
  5. Solve the new integral with the substituted variable.
  6. Finally, substitute back the original complex expression in terms of u to get the final answer.

What are some common mistakes when using the substitution rule?

Some common mistakes when using the substitution rule include:

• Choosing an inappropriate substitution, which can result in a more complicated integral.
  • Forgetting to replace the differential in the integrand with the differential of the substituted variable.
  • Forgetting to substitute back the original expression in terms of the substituted variable in the final answer.
  • Not simplifying the integral after substituting in the substituted variable.

Can the substitution rule be used for definite integrals?

Yes, the substitution rule can also be used for definite integrals. However, the limits of integration must also be substituted to match the new variable. This may require further manipulation of the limits before solving the integral.