Sucking cranberry juice out of a hose

• Thread starter member 392791
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hose
In summary, in the Walter Lewin lecture on fluids, a second experiment was conducted where he sucked juice out of a container from a height of 5 meters. This was possible due to a vacuum being created by sucking the air out of the hose, causing the air pressure at the bottom of the container to push the liquid up. However, in the first experiment where the hose was in a U-shape, the juice was only able to be brought up to a height of 1 meter. This difference in height could be attributed to the technique of sucking used, as in the second experiment, a stronger vacuum was created using the tongue instead of the lungs. Additionally, the size of the container's opening may have also played a role in the
member 392791
I just watched the walter lewin lecture on fluids, and he had an experiment where he was sucking it out of a hose when the hose was in a U-shape, and he was only able to bring the level up about a meter. However, when he got on a ladder and was sucking out the juice from the floor in the container, there wasn't any trouble sucking it out 5 meters

Somehow him being on the ladder 5 meters up is the reason for this, and I can't figure out how this works.

For the 2nd experiment, he was sucking the air out of the hose creating a vacuum, so the air pressure at the bottom of the container was pushing the liquid up. But, I would think the same principle would apply for the one at ground level, yet it didnt.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I found the right video, he did not suck juice up a height of 5m. Nobody could.
He sucked the juice up a short way then closed the top of the tube and lifted it 5m.

no he definitely was sucking the whole time...but I think it could be that the beaker had a much larger surface area than the tiny hole from the first experiment.

Then please direct me to the right video and time from start.
The area shouldn't matter. If it's all the same airspace then it's all at the same pressure. No human can get lung pressure down to half an atmosphere - you'd be crushed.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-1999/video-lectures/lecture-27/

at 48:30 is when it begins

OK, I've got it. We assumed sucking is done with the lungs, but when a strong vacuum is required we naturally switch to a different technique. The sucking is done with the tongue, throat closed. (Check: you can still breathe when sucking hard.) The tongue is pretty strong. The tongue then closes the off the airway at the front of the mouth and opens up at the back, allowing the withdrawn air to be removed (but now at a higher pressure).

1. What is the purpose of sucking cranberry juice out of a hose?

The purpose of sucking cranberry juice out of a hose is to create a vacuum that will draw the juice through the hose and into your mouth. This can be a fun and convenient way to drink cranberry juice without using a cup or straw.

2. Is it safe to drink cranberry juice through a hose?

As long as the hose is clean and made of food-grade materials, it is generally safe to drink cranberry juice through a hose. However, it is important to make sure the hose is free of any debris or bacteria before using it to avoid potential health risks.

3. Can any type of hose be used to suck cranberry juice?

No, it is not recommended to use just any type of hose to suck cranberry juice. It is important to use a hose that is specifically designed for drinking, such as a food-grade silicone hose. Using other types of hoses, such as a garden hose, can be harmful to your health.

4. How do I clean the hose after using it to suck cranberry juice?

To clean the hose, first remove any remaining juice by flushing it with water. Then, use a cleaning solution made for food-grade materials to sanitize the inside of the hose. Rinse thoroughly with water and let it dry completely before using it again.

5. What are the benefits of drinking cranberry juice through a hose?

Drinking cranberry juice through a hose can be a fun and unique way to consume the juice. It also eliminates the need for a cup or straw, making it more environmentally friendly. Additionally, sucking on the hose can help with jaw exercise and can be a good alternative for individuals who have difficulty drinking from a cup or straw.